Hi, im Matt & im 18 years old. For the last 2 months or so something's really been bothering me, i'm not the same person i used to be, for example before i turned 18 all my life i have been a really happy guy with a brilliant mentality about life, but for the last 2 months i don't enjoy anything i used to enjoy doing and i seem to have lost all my personality. I don't know who i am anymore & i don't really have any opinions on anything anymore it's like i've given up on life when i know deep down i love it. I just can't seem to find the old me & now im just a boring guy who doesn't appreciate life anymore, i'm not suicidal or anything like that but i am really worried that i won't get my personality back. Recently i started college & when in lectures i dont seem to be able to take anything in, it comes in one ear and out the other, i'm also not the same person socially, i used to have a great time with my mates but now i never want to go out. I don't know why im feeling this way, i dont really have any reason to be depressed i have a great family behind me & some great friends. I feel like im losing my mind and going crazy. I have also noticed that i am eating alot more than i used to, i used to really care about my weight now im not bothered. Another thing is sometimes i think about the old me and how much i would love to be that guy again and sometimes i get very emotional and am at the point of tears. I know it sounds really weird. I have no real feelings anymore & am really worried i won't go back to my normal self. Please write back with advice for me on what i should do next. Thank You for listening. Matt
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 11th, 2008
Experienced User
What you should do is make an appointment with a counselor go to a few sessions and let them get to know you what you are like and explain what you use to be like. Maybe they can come up with a diagnosis and let you know what has happened, you might have to go on medication.

I can't say, but from my own experience and I suffer bipolar and that is when you are manic or depressed it rotates between the two. What you might have been feeling before could of been a manic episode and now you are on the depressive side of it. When you take medication for bipolar it puts you in the middle where you are not depress nor or you manic. Just one possibility. You would really need to speak with a counselor to know for sure what it is.
|

replied October 17th, 2008
to mattjy90... re:lost personality
hi matt! it sounds maybe you are making the move from high school to college, and from teenager to adult. sometimes that could seem very stressful. it may seem like you are losing your "old self". but if you take the advice from NightStar you may find a counselor will ease the transition. also, this is probably a normal feeling and just means you are maturing. good luck in your quest!
|

replied September 22nd, 2009
depression maybe?
|
Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....