Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Lost interest in baby food

Cheyenne will be 9 months old on the 18th. She has lost all interest in her baby food. She has her front 2 bottom teeth, but no more. What types of things can we feed her as far as actual meals go? Some things I am still afraid to give in fear that she will choke. She eats potatoes (mashed, baked, fried as long as they are mushy), bananas, baby yogurt, cottage cheese, green beans, peas, animal crackers, gerber puff snacks...I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of them right now. But none of these are really 'meal' worthy. She used to eat her baby food REALLY well, but the past couple of weeks she has wanted nothing to do with it. I need some ideas of things I can send to the babysitter with her.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you tried giving her any type of pasta? When Gabe was old enough to mash food up in his mouth, I started making him just plain old pasta noodles. He loved it!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank arcadia for this post: guest95866 

replied May 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
No, I haven't tried that yet. I was afraid that might be a choking hazard, but from everything I have read pasta seems to be one of the most recommended choices. I guess I'll give it a try! Thanks.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
you could try getting her those mesh food bags and put fruits and veggies in there
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Idony for this post: guest95866 

replied May 15th, 2008
Especially eHealthy
babies don't need teeth to eat, they just mash with their gums.

you could try pasta, chicken cut up tiny, diced fruits and veggies... for some reason i can't think of anything else...

let us know what you give her and how she does!

eta: beans! finn loved kidney beans. they're smushy and i'd just cut them in half for him.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Bridget for this post: guest95866 

replied May 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
She's had a round with brochitis, so she hasn't really wanted anything the past few days except for her bottle. Last night I did get her to eat some diced up carrots and few bites of bologna (I know, not the healthiest...). She gagged on one piece of bologna and threw up the bottle she had a little bit before that...that freaked us both out a little bit. She chews really well, so I guess a piece just got stuck on the back of her throat. After that she wanted nothing to do with food, but wanted another bottle. We'll try something else tonight, I guess.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
DO NOT PUSH HER!!!!! seriously, especially if shes just getting over being sick, if you push her to much when she doesnt want it you run the risk of creating a behavioral feeding aversion! as long as she will take enough formula she will be fine until she feels well enough to eat again

(sorry if i sound over bearing on this, im having MAJOR problems with feeding val right now and its become one of those hot button issuses for me...i dont really wanna go into detail on the public forums though, i hope you understand)
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Idony for this post: guest95866 

User Profile
replied May 17th, 2008
Supporter
mika would barely eat after she'd been ill, i'djust got heronto 3 mealsaday plus breastfeeds but then she would only have half the amount of breastfeedsthan normal for about three weeks. Se won't let herself go hungry so don't worry. Do you think she would prefer eating some of your food cut up smaller instead of baby food? Mika can't stand baby food,the only liquidy food she'lleat it yoghurt now
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank Dannzibelle for this post: guest95866 

User Profile
replied May 18th, 2008
Experienced User
Eadie just finished that stage between baby food and table foods. She refused to let me feed her, she had to do it herself. So I was at a bit of a loss for a while, especially since she seems to be allergic to egg yolks (the dietician told me the yolks would be safe.) I was also worried she wouldn't get enough nutrition from the things I was giving her. She absolutely loves Cheerios though so I started out mixing them in with her baby food so she could pick them up but they still had the mush on them. Eventually I just increased the different types of cut up foods and decreased the Cheerios and she's doing really well now. She even uses a fork really well. I have a slow cooker and I make chicken in it for her. It gets so tender that she can gum it (she only has one tooth so far.) I'm gonna try some other meats in it. She loves all kinds of fruit and likes any kind of veggie as long as it's cooked and cut up. You could try squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower florets, green beans, zucchini....Also, she loves avocado, rice and orzo pasta.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank killbill for this post: guest95866 

replied May 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Idony wrote:
DO NOT PUSH HER!!!!! seriously, especially if shes just getting over being sick, if you push her to much when she doesnt want it you run the risk of creating a behavioral feeding aversion! as long as she will take enough formula she will be fine until she feels well enough to eat again

(sorry if i sound over bearing on this, im having MAJOR problems with feeding val right now and its become one of those hot button issuses for me...i dont really wanna go into detail on the public forums though, i hope you understand)



I don't push her to eat. I put her in her highchair and put a few different things on her tray. She'll eat what she wants and leave the rest. She mostly goes for the Cheerios; that's about all we can get her to eat. She is still a little sick, so I'm hoping that's the reason for her lost appetite.

She still takes 16-24 ounces of formula a day, so she's still getting the nutrition she needs.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Dannzibelle wrote:
mika would barely eat after she'd been ill, i'djust got heronto 3 mealsaday plus breastfeeds but then she would only have half the amount of breastfeedsthan normal for about three weeks. Se won't let herself go hungry so don't worry. Do you think she would prefer eating some of your food cut up smaller instead of baby food? Mika can't stand baby food,the only liquidy food she'lleat it yoghurt now


She does eat regular table much better than baby food. She used to LOVE yogurt, but now she wants nothing to do with it either. She wants stuff that she can feed herself. She hasn't mastered the spoon yet, so she needs stuff that she can pick up with her fingers.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 19th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
killbill wrote:
Eadie just finished that stage between baby food and table foods. She refused to let me feed her, she had to do it herself. So I was at a bit of a loss for a while, especially since she seems to be allergic to egg yolks (the dietician told me the yolks would be safe.) I was also worried she wouldn't get enough nutrition from the things I was giving her. She absolutely loves Cheerios though so I started out mixing them in with her baby food so she could pick them up but they still had the mush on them. Eventually I just increased the different types of cut up foods and decreased the Cheerios and she's doing really well now. She even uses a fork really well. I have a slow cooker and I make chicken in it for her. It gets so tender that she can gum it (she only has one tooth so far.) I'm gonna try some other meats in it. She loves all kinds of fruit and likes any kind of veggie as long as it's cooked and cut up. You could try squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower florets, green beans, zucchini....Also, she loves avocado, rice and orzo pasta.


Cheerios is about the only thing we can get her to eat. Thanks for the other suggestions though, we'll give them a try.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....