Medical Questions > Cancer > Brain Cancer Forum

Lost hearing and vertigo

User Profile
hey, just tonight i was on my computer when i started getting funny hearing, eventually i lost hearing in one ear (the left) then my right ear lost hearing and my left was fine, i was EXTREMELY dizzy when this started, bad vertigo. now i have my hearing back but have a headache.

ive been having constant dizziness and headaches for a month now. (headaches haven't been bad just a dull ache).

im obviously worrying if this could be a brain tumor, cause i do smoke. im only 18 years old male btw

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 21st, 2010
Brain Cancer Answer A13361
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by dizziness (vertigo) and headaches for the last one month and fear that it might be due to a brain tumor as you have a 2 year history of smoking.
Though headache and vertigo (dizziness) are separate conditions but it is possible that one may trigger the other. You may well experience dizziness or vertigo (spinning type of dizziness) and it ends up triggering a headache or making an existing one worse. The sudden onset of vertigo usually indicates a peripheral vestibular disorder (inner ear disturbance; e.g., BPPV, Ménière disease, vestibular neuritis).Symptoms of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) usually last a few seconds to a few minutes and are intermittent (i.e., come and go). They also may include lightheadedness, imbalance, and nausea, usually as a result of a change in position (e.g., rolling over in bed, getting out of bed).These may also trigger a headache. There is a possibility that yours could a tension headache as you have told that the headache is not very bad but constant dull ache. There is only a remote possibility of brain tumor considering your age etc. but other investigations like CT head will be required to reach a definitive diagnosis.
You must see your physician for the accurate diagnosis as the same cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Brain basics here - what is a tumor and how do doctors understand brain cancer? ...
What puts you at risk of developing brain cancer? Review the most common risk factors for brain cancer so that you can be informed....
Brain cancer symptoms are wide ranging and various. Look out for these common symptoms of brain cancer and learn when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Brain Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.