Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Forum

lost hair in one soft spot only about quoter size?

User Profile
I lost hair in one soft spot only about quoter size. I never had any symptom like redness or itchiness. why it's happening?(I bleached my hair 6 month ago and colored my hair 1month ago)

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied February 13th, 2012
Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Answer A31476
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

The description of your hair loss appears to be due to Alopecia areata.

Alopecia Areata is a hair loss condition characterized by the rapid onset of hair loss in a sharply defined area. Hair loss occurs because the hair follicles in a discreet area all enter the telogen or late catagen stage of hair growth. In the catagen stage the hair follicle stops growing and in the telogen stage it falls out.

The progress of alopecia areata is unpredictable. In the majority of individuals, with little hair loss, as in your case, observation for a few months can be done, as the hair is expected to regrow completely within 1 year without any treatment. Other options include prescription medications of topical steroids (eg Diprolene or Temovate).

You may consult with your dermatologist who can examine you and advice you accordingly.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hair Loss, Hair Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.