Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

losing movement from my elbow that has metal plates in

My right elbow was shattered In october from a car accident Ive had metal plates put in my arm ive have physiotherapy for 6weeks to get my movement back ive been told I will never regain full movement and no hit a point where I cant gain any more movement. But since my physion stopped ive been losing movement Sad

could you tell me if this is normal? I've been doing everything my physiotherapist has told me to do.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Gaelic
|

User Profile
replied February 22nd, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Kara90,

Unfortunately, elbows do not take injury very well and often lose significant amounts of range of motion.

It is also not uncommon for patients to lose some range of motion after stopping formal physical therapy. Mainly, because they are not doing the same amount of work that they were doing with the therapist.

Scar tissue does not fully mature until approximately a year has passed. As a result, it is very important to continue the stretching exercises for at least that long, if not longer.

You should contact your physical therapist and ask what exercises should be added to your home program to try to regain what you had with the therapist and then maintain it.

In significantly damaged elbows, if the patient regains a functional arc of motion (from around 25 to 125 degrees of motion), that is often considered a very good result. Most activities of daily living can be done if the patient has that arc of motion (ie they can reach the mouth and do personal hygiene).

Again, call your therapist and inquire as to what exercises he/she would recommend you add on to your current home program.

Good luck.
|

Thank you
|

Thank you
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....