Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Forum

losing 7-8 hairs on the crown of my head every day

User Profile
I am 27 years old. From three to four months I am losing 7-8 hairs on the crown of my head every day and there is no new hair at that place. My family has no record of baldness at a very young age. Am I going to be bald very slowly?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2012
Hair Loss, Hair Disorders Answer A40403
Hello,
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. The causes of hair fall could be due to stress, fungal infections, alopecia aereata, hormonal imbalance(overproduction of dihydrotestosterone and thyroid hormones irregularities),malnutrition, telogen effluvium and sebum plugs on skin. In your case, telogen effluvium needs to be probed thoroughly. It is nonscarring alopecia characterized by diffuse hair shedding, often with an acute onset. There is a chronic form also which persists for a longer duration and starts with insidious onset. Chronic telogen effluvium is hair shedding lasting longer than 6 months. Physiologic stress such as febrile illness, severe infection, surgery and changes in diet can contribute to the same. I sincerely suggest you to consult a trichologist and get it evaluated. I must admit that it is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hair Loss, Hair Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.