I am a 39 year old woman who had a baby 4 months ago. While I was pregnant I noticed that after shaving my legs not as much hair as usual was growing back. Only about 1/4 of what I usually had. After I gave birth, my
underarm hair didn't grow back much after shaving, again only about 1/4 if that. I also noticed then that my arms weren't as hairy as they used to be. A couple months went by and now my pubic hair is rapidly falling out. I've been to the doctor and my thyroid checked out normal. I made an appointment with a dermatologist but they can't see me until August! It's really upsetting me. I don't want this to get any worse. Any ideas what's going on?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 21st, 2008
an update
An update for anyone who's interested. Just as I feared, about a month ago my body hair loss problem finally caught up to my head. I woke up one morning with hair all over my pillow. I'd run my fingers thru my hair and get like 15-20 hairs falling out at a time. All my hair loss seemed to be the hair in front, my bangs and to the side. If I pull my hair back in a pony tail you can see how it thinned like crazy all around the front. Even my eyebrows and eyelashes seemed to be thinning, I noticed in the morning when I wash my face like 3-4 eyebrows and 2 or so eyelashes would fall out also. Well I was finally able to see the dermatologist. He said it is just telogen effluvium, from having the baby. I've had 5 children and this is the first time it's ever happened to me. I thought it strange that all my body hair was involved and also that it occurred at different times, not all at once. The doctor seemed very unconcerened, of course it isn't his problem! Anyway, I am relieved that after 4 weeks my head hair has stopped falling out! And everything seems to be growing back (except for part of my underarm hair and a very small part of my eyebrow) still waiting on that. The only thing that puzzles me is I've noticed that the majority of the hairs that grew back, most noticeably on my legs and pubic area are much thinner and finer. I hardly have to shave my legs anymore because even though the hair is there it isn't very noticeable. I questioned the doctor why this would be but he just talked around it, never answering my question. I think he either didn't know or didn't care. Anyway I guess it's not a problem really, just as long as the hair on my head grows back the same I'll be thankful. Too soon to tell yet. This whole ordeal completely stressed me out which I'm sure doesn't help at all. The doctor said it could be up to a year before all is normal again. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Has anyone ever had a similar experience?
|

replied April 28th, 2012
Losing Body Hair
This is to both women. Though your thyroid levels may come back within normal ranges, it may be low normal, and the symptoms you are both having may be from low thyroid, or hypothyroidism. Check out this site: I am currently taking their iodine, and starting to feel better. Hope this helps. Do your own research. It's your body.
|
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....