Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Lorazepam 0.5 mg

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
I've been occasionally taking generic Ativan or Lorazepam. I am taking 0.5mg and am experiencing some issues with taking it before bed as I tend to wake up more when I take it before bedtime. I have a lot of anxiety in the evenings and when the sun sets. It seems very cyclical in nature and I suffer from pretty severe seasonal affective disorder. Is there a chance that could be causing me to wake up while sleeping? I am having trouble with sleep maintenance with sleep apnea as well, so there's a lot of 'moving parts' if you will that I can't figure out what is doing what. I also just started Lexapro 10 mg and last night was my second night of 10 mg of Escitalopram Oxalate/[Lexapro generic]. I'm doing my best to figure out what is causing me to wake up so frequently while sleeping but all I can think of is sleep apnea and chronic stress. I have had panic attacks a lot while trying to onset sleep and it feels like my blood pressure goes up but not heart rate. I get sort of clammy/sweaty and my body has the sensation of like a monster being in the room where I'm almost too afraid to move. It happens as I'm drifting off to sleep most noticeably. I sometimes get so afraid of the pre-bed anxiety that I avoid going to bed sometimes for 20 hours or more. What could be causing this? I am trying to provide the best information I can, but I just am curious if others know if Lorazepam can cause awakenings in the late night/early morning hours? Are there better alternatives that I could pursue instead of relying on Ativan for sleeping every night?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 23rd, 2017
ya i recommend you get a sleep apnea machine because that will help you a lot believe me get one it will be the best investment you make for yourself . you will have a great night sleep if you start using it.
|

I'm not done reading ur post yet but I had to stop to say ur not alone. I thought I was untill I read ur post. I have most my attacks in the evening or after doing alot. Also my attacks started every year in the summer now I have them all during the year. But the first two years I had attacks they where in the heat of summer. So thank u for sharing
|

The larazapam should help u sleep I would think. It is a bezodiazopam and that calms the nerves and has a sedative effect. I have however heard of antidepressants causing sleep issues, so I'd recommend u take any antidepressants in the morning. I also recommend some different techniques I've learned. One is called controlled breathing. You take long breaths in and out over and over but not heavy breaths, ur breaths will only be shortly longer than ur usual breath but ur breath out should be a tad longer than the one in, only focus on ur breathing. If u start thinking of something besides ur breaths then just re focus,take ur thoughts back to ur breathing. U can look up different controlled breathing for anxiety online. Also try sleeping with a cool fan on u, that helps me or try wetting a wash cloth with cool water and place on ur head. I was actually taught to throw ice cold water over my head or take a cold shower when having panic attacks. There is actually science behind why it works. But it's supposed to calm u down quickly. These r some mindful activities I learned in a dbt class I took, I hope it helps u. Also u don't want to associate ur bed with a negative place. It's suppose to be a place where u relax and sleep. Not one of dread and anxiety. So try changing the blanket r pillow case. Because I would think if this has been happening for a while and going to bed is starting to stress u then maybe u can trick ur brain by making it look a little different. I hope that makes sense. U don't want to be reminded of all those sleepless nights when u go to lay down so that's the idea of changing things and trying to make it a less stressful place.
|

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2017
Love the help all of you! Thanks so much! Read each and every one of the replies. My apnea gets bad in the summer ever year! I don't sleep well when it's warmer out. Thought I was alone, too. Very refreshing to read your replies and see what you all had to say. Big thank you to everyone.
|
Tags: Anxiety, Stress
Quick Reply