I have been having sympotms that appear like hypoglycemia for past 4 months.It all started on one fine day a week after I reached USA . My diets were changed drastically for few days and i had recently recovered from loose motion that lasted almost a week.It was dinner time and suddenly I felt really weak and felt like i was gonna passout ,my heart beat was very very high and felt like the world was ending.. I ate rice and curry and slept.The symptoms had gone and i was fine.But the sympotms came back in a week agian .I feel very very weak and shaky,nervous and confused,i cant concentrate on any thing and it feels like i am gonna pass out. All the sympomts are gone once i eat a loaf or two of bread or rice or some sweet snack. The symptoms was very frequent for first 2 months then there was spacing between the symptom .The feelings were still terrible though.Following are the observation which make me think that it is not hypoglycemia.
1)When i check my glucose level using glucometer at the time of symtoms ,the glocose level is normal(the least i have seen is 90 ).( i did it 3 times during 3 seperate episodes)
2)I dont feel shaky or anything even when i eat a lot of sugar some times.

symptoms are all gone when i eat some carbohydrate or sugary stuffs.
I have had Hepatitis A a year ago and which lasted for one month.I abstained from alcohol for almost 6 months then i started drinking( not much though).Can this be the cause of the disease? Please suggest i am really worried what is hapening to me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 12th, 2008
Can you remember what you ate before you experienced these symptoms?

The symptoms you are describing do sound like you were experiencing a crash. You should be able to spot some dietry regularity that causes these symptoms.

1) At the time you begin to experience symptoms the body is already adjusting. It's therefore common you will see a normal or slightly below normal glucose reading, even though you might feel like you are going to feint. Eat a standard sized meal and test 2-3 hours after consumption to give you a better indication of whether you might be suffering.

2) This is highly dependant on what else you are eating. If your constantly eating sugar then you may feel okay as the excess insulin will be balanced with the sugar intake. Living like this is only aggravating the problem unfortunately.

It could be the alchohol. When and in what situation your blood sugar levels are affected will be down to the individual. If you google alcohol and blood sugar you'll be able to see the negative effects it can have.
|

replied July 7th, 2008
Supporter
It may be hypoglycemia, it may not be hypoglycemia. It's fairly common for a patient to suffer symptoms with no hypoglycemia blood sugar reading. Many conditions share symptoms with hypoglycemia.

The first thing you need to do is go and see your doctor.
|

replied July 24th, 2008
Normal GTT but hypo
A week ago i had my 3 hour GTT done with 75 grams of glucose.The results were absolutely fine and my endocrinologist said i was ok.The fact is i was not feeling terrible that day.The symptoms that i normally have were in a very less amount on that day.How can i be 100% sure that i have hypoglycemia?
When ever i am alone or not busy my symptoms are aggravated and i feel bad.I feel nervous,anxious,heart beats very fast ,sweat slightly and feel like i am gonna pass out and die.After I eat meal (Rice,Lentils(my normal meal)i feel fine and positive)for 1-2 hours .I have developed this strange fear inside me that something is seriously wrong with me and something bad is going to happen to me.This feeling becomes inence when i get the symptoms.
I recently moved from my home country to US for my education and my surroundings have changed drastically.In fact the symptoms first started showing a week after i reached US.I dont have any apparent reason to be stressed.There is almost no problem with my sleep.Its only once or twice that i was unable to sleep for few hours because of the symptoms.Normally i get a good night sleep.I don't have blurred vision.I have checked my kidney and liver function both are normal.What is the best way to know for sure that i have hypoglycemia for sure. I am really frsutrated with my dire straites please help.
|

replied July 25th, 2008
Supporter
If your blood sugar didn't drop after 75g of glucose then you don't have reactive hypoglycemia, as your endocrinologist said. Hypoglycemia is defined by the low blood sugar, the only way you can be diagnosed (and be 'sure') is if you actually suffer low blood sugar.

Many people experience 'hypoglycemia symptoms' without the actual low blood sugar. Your doctor should continue to investigate to find the real cause, there are many things that can cause this, and your change in diet and environment presents even more possibilities.
|

replied July 25th, 2008
Thanks for the reply Victoria !
What should be the next thing that i can do ?
My doctor gave me Beta Blocker( Inderal ) for the Palpitation and other symtoms and said that it is a very good medicine but i read somewhere that if i have hypo then the medicine would prevent me from knowing if i am having hypo symtomps to take necessary action!SHould i take Inderal (20 mg per day)?
Also when i excercise or do physical activity the mild symtoms of heart beat and anxiety are reduced and i feel better.does this happen in hypo?
my symtomps get worse when i am all alone i think a lot and get an awful fright of passing out and dieing!
|

replied July 25th, 2008
Supporter
If your doctor has prescribed them then yes take them, he knows better what's good for you. I'm sure they'll be fine for you, and if you do have trouble then just go back to your doctor and let him know Smile

It honestly doesn't sound like you're having hypo's. As I said the symptoms can be very similar, but without the low blood sugar that makes a hypo a hypo.

Physical activity is good for a lot of conditions, if you find it helps then keep that up Very Happy

If you want to put your mind at rest about the low blood sugar, then test your own blood sugar when experiencing symptoms (glucose monitors are quite easy to come by these days). If your blood sugar is around 3mmol (54) or above, then you're not having a hypo.
|