Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Recovery & Post-Op Forum

Looks like a blood blister in fusion surgical scar?!

Hi everyone! I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I had an anterior/posterior lumbar fusion + trimmings (L5-S1) 4 months ago. I seemed to be healing relatively well. I still have back pain, but most days the pain is less than before the surgery. I still have weakness but I'm hoping as I keep up with exercises and PT that will continue to get better. I recently moved and drove for nearly 15 hours straight. I was happy because I seemed to be fine (this was 2 weeks ago). About a week ago the scar on my belly seemed to get a blood blister on the top of it. Over the last few days it's been getting bigger. The black dot in the center stays the same (about the size of pencil eraser) but it's now swollen through the scar in a ring around the black dot. Twice I've noticed the skin over it peel off. Today, I tried popping it and all I got was clear liquid, no blood. I've also noticed that I have pain along that scar that I haven't had since immediately after the surgery. I assumed that the pain had something to do with the storms we've had the past few days, but it still hurts and there are no storms now. The other thing is, is that I've been feeling very worn down. Sleeping 10 + hours a night, a couple hour nap in the afternoon, and not much energy to get out and play. I assumed this was from the move but it's been too long now and I'm getting nervous because I start a very intense internship in 2 weeks!

I read online that it could be an infection (I haven't had a fever). I'm hoping not because I moved and am starting a new job, which means my new insurance won't kick in for some time Mad I'm hoping someone has experienced something like this and can put my mind at ease.

Thank you!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 19th, 2011
Surgical scar issue
I understand not having insurance but I highly recommend you get the scar checked out. It really sounds like an infection which can turn bad quickly if you don't get it taken care of. Most states have at least one free clinic or a sliding fee clinic for cash-paying patients. I would first contact the surgeon's office and talk to a nurse. Then, follow their advice. A storm will not affect the incision. Increased sleeping and feeling tired can be signs of infection or any number of things. Clear liquid from a wound is typically puss, a sign of infection. Fevers do not always accompany infections. Best wishes.
|
Did you find this post helpful?