Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

looking at options for knee replacement

User Profile
I have no cartilage on either knee knuckle. Will synvisc help reduce pain for a few months? I am looking at options for knee replacement including growing new cartilage from stem cells or using a cadaver knuckle. I will be officiating soccer in a month and need to get some relief soon.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2011
Arthritis Answer A20383
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the ways to induce pain relief for few months in your knees plagued by osteoarthritis.
If exercise and over the counter pain medication are not helping much, you might be a candidate for synvisc which you need to discuss with your doctor. Everyone responds differently but in one study patients experience pain relief after one month the synvisc injection is given. Although all patients respond differently, osteoarthritis knee pain relief can last up to 6 months.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.