Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

Long term effects of radiation

My son had Acute Myeloid leukemia many years ago (1989) and he was treated with chemo and full body radiation for 4 days (3x a day). The doctors discussed with usthe the long term effects of radiation and told us that he would develop cataracts and also be sterile. He did eventually develop cataracts. Now at the age of 29, he and his girlfriend just announced that she is pregnant. My son was always told that he would be sterile but truly believes that this is his child but I am concerned for the validity of this and if this is truly his child how much should I be concerned about the health of the unborn child?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
Some people will still retain their fertility after chemotherapy and radiation therapy, so it is not altogether impossible that your son has fathered a child. Unfortunately, the only way to be certain regarding the issue of paternity is for both he and the baby to be tested.

As for the impact of your son's diagnosis and treatment for AML, there may be some increased risk of genetic abnormalities in offspring following parental chemotherapy but, once again, it is not possible for me to say what the risks are specifically for this new baby.

Sincerely/ Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS
A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Leukemia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.