Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

long term effects of psychotic episode

User Profile
Hi I had a psychotic episode 6-7 yrs ago. I just wondered if there are long term effects known after having a pychotic episode. I feel that i have never been 100% the same again. Are there any common long term effects that you may know of. thanks in advance. (I have major trust issues for 1 and I never had them before the drug taking and induced psychosis) umbrella lifepreserver doctor
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper heymate
|

replied January 19th, 2009
Active User, very eHealthy
what happened to you, can you explain it.
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2009
Supporter
I heard voices for quite some time. I didn't realise they weren't real until after i went to a psych ward for one night. I had an experience where i felt like i died months later and since then the carefree side of me has disappeared. I just wonder whether the brain may have some kind of permanent damage from this. I am well. I have recovered there is just a part of me that wonders whether i will have some permanent damage from this. Are there common permanent effects for a once off episode?

My psychotic episode was caused due to me taking amphetamines and other drugs. drug induced. Basically after quitting the drugs the voices died down and slowly went away. i took risperdone for a few months & valiums, temazapans and also drank alot.

I think i am quite paranoid still. Could this be a permanent effect. Low self esteem perhaps be an effect. Anything would be helpful just to see whether it's possible to still have effects due to this event and hey if I'm way off just let me know. i'm just curious and trying to understand myself better Razz
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2009
Supporter
It seems as though infront of a lot of ppl i have gone dumb(in their eyes) in my own eyes i know i'm not but Am shy and freeze up especially when there is more than one person. is that weird? Social phobia or effects of my previous mental illness??
|

replied February 17th, 2009
i had a drug induced psychotic episode four months ago. have also been wondering if i will ever feel normal again. have triggered panic disorder and anxiety and also feel extremely disconnected from the world in general. on anti-depressants and valiums but still wonder if im ever going to be able to forget it or feel like i did before it happened. its hard finding information and other people it has happened to.
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2009
Supporter
Well I can tell you this. you're going to feel a hell of alot better in time to come. In years to come you're going to feel almost like you're own self. i think there's a part of you you lose but maybe that not the real you. if you get what i mean. drugs change ppl... You'll just be you.
Maybe that's my prob. i don't like the new me enough or maybe I'm depressed or maybe it's just motherood lol. draining yet rewarding.
The anxiety will pass. i know how bad it is in the beginning. you will slowly forget it. By that i mean it won't define you anymore like it may do now.
You'll be fine. main thing is to stay clean. if you're like me psychosi would have given you the fright of your life and that'll help you stay clean Smile
if you ever wanna chat i'm hear for you. I had it about 6 or 7 yrs ago and never relapsed.
|

replied December 1st, 2011
Hi. Just courses what medication you were on not to rlapse? I have been on ryspedal for almost a year now and i had a small epsiode just recently... ?
|

replied December 22nd, 2009
Psychosis youll never be the same.But youll come back totheworld
Just forget about your episode.You probably wont feel the same because you were on drugs during your episode which obviously means you were having odd experience.So you wont feel that state of mind anymore.I myself have had an episode.Im getting over it pretty quick.I ignore what happened to me,even though I can swear what happened was real and rational.But I rather not think that way anymore.I also know that religion and love caused my psychosis,so Ive promised my self and have been conditioning myself to not get over emotional when it comes to religoin and love things.I could still be very social and everything but I dont obsess.
|

replied October 9th, 2011
ok, late to the party but sorry.

In truth....there is no answer.

Will you get better...yes!!! Will you be like the old you......no!!!

You will think too much when you have time on your hands about how things arent right yet you wont realise how normal you are when you are busy.

Personally....I struggle a little being motivated to go out socially at times. If its a big...or what I view a big event I will try to dodge it if I have the choice. If its something small and unplanned I usually enjoy myself. Strange but its the build up to things that put me off.

I also have a very social job at times and if I have been talking to alot of people in the day I just want to go home and lock myself away. Im sure that is normal though.

To sum it up in my opinion.

I worry about myself and peoples opinions of me. In truth im ok and people around me dont view me as strange as I think they do. If I have one word of advice.....push your self. Push your self to go out with friends. you will enjoy yourself. Push yourself to do the normal things, thats what makes you normal. but dont be afraid to worry and feel down. Its natural. Just dont let it swamp all your emotions and time.

The way you judge yourself is much worse than the way anyone you know judges you. Remember that!!!
|

replied November 30th, 2011
I was sick with psychosis for 2-3 years... hearing voices, seeing lights i had it bad.... weird thoughts, weird feelings and acted weird..... thought i was going to hell .... all of it.. like i said i had it bad. Been on combantion of ryspidol and anti-depresstes for almost 1 year now and im doing good... i still get odd feelings but the main thing to do and what really helped me get well is keeping busy all the time....and guys/girls it does get better just give your medication some time. lots of time. im going to be on mien for 1year to 2years. Its a slow process but you do see progress.... just hang in there... like i said it does get better
|

replied December 24th, 2011
Yeah I had a bad case of drug induced phycosis the first one was about 7 years ago was pretty bad started taking olanezapine took me about two years to get over it then I slowly found myself having a smoke hear and there, before I knew it bang another episode spent bout 6 weeks in a nut house and i have another drug induced episode since then about 1&1/2 year ago I still struggle to stop using even though I know where I'm gonna end up. I think if you stay away from the drugs youll be fine.
Good luck
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....