Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

long term effects of adhd medication in children?

User Profile
hello, my name is heather. i have a 6 year old nephew who has been diagnosed with adhd and my mother, who has costody of him at the moment, has put him on a behavoral drug called Intuniv. the first week of him being on it, he was to take one pill a day in the morning before school. it effected his school life dramaticlly, he was falling asleep during class and his teacher was noticing his personallity change, as have our family. he wasnt as imaginitve nor energetic and was going to bed around 5 or 6 in the evening. after two weeks, they raised his dose to two pills and made him like a zombie. my mother then put him back on 1 pill without consulting the docter. i want my mother to not have to rely on these pills to help him. i was wondering if there were any alternitives to the pills that will improve his behavior and focus and what are the long term effects of taking these pills (liver damage, social/education abilities?)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. There are many alternatives to non stimulants ADD pills. Just consult any good psychiatrist and they will put many drug options on the table for the management.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ADD and ADHD , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.