Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Lonely, fear of future, Social anxiety ect

This is my first time posting anything like this so i dont know what to expect. I'm a 24 year old male with low self esteem. It seems that my life since 2009 has been a struggle. My close friend passed away and then roughly a month later my dad left my mom. He lost his job to drinking and left my mom for a woman he was seeing on the side. My mom brother and i were technically homeless for 6 months because we lost our house. It's been a struggle for us since although we've come far. I got back to college a few years back thinking i could piece my life together. Unfortunately i have no idea what im doing. I have friends but they tend to depress me for various reasons. They make me feel lonely (shouldn't it be opposite?). They are intelligent people that are going places. They have good relationships that im jealous of. That's another thing: i know i am envious and competitive. It's something i feel im constantly have to monitoring. I overthink alot and have a job that gives me way too much time to do so.. Ive been thinking about quitting to find something more active. Im making efforts to be happy. Exercises, meditation, sleeping and eating well. I watch motivational youtube videos religiously to psyche myself up. I dont think of myself as incapable but i do feel like im wasting my potential. I'm a loner and i hate it. When im woth others i feel like im searching for what's "right" to say... I don't believe in suicide whatsoever... It's just not an option for me. But i do get reoccurring negative thoughts. My lack of interests has me worried. I'm often bored feeling like i'm missing out on living. I deleted my facebook because of anxiety, miscommunication and addiction. Idk...i dont think i should get back on but i do feel isolated. I think i'm going to get a japanese peace lily just to have something to take care of and possibly reduce stress. Hmm oh yea i also live with my mom and brother... I cant afford living on my own...also im getting an associates in liberal arts after this semester ... I have no idea what im gonna do with it... Well yea... There's some of my story...id like advice or a friend to talk to... Anything beneficial... Questions welcomed. My name is Nathan by the way. Thanks for giving me your time.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 11th, 2015
Hey Nathan, I have anxiety too that was brought on by my dad dying, I'm 41 I highly recommend telling your dr all that you just said. There is very low dose meds that may be helpful to you. I feel very much the same as you and it makes me sad your so young feeling like this.. I'm a mom of a 23 year old so if you need to talk ever I'd be happy to listen
|

replied December 11th, 2015
Active User, very eHealthy
I hear othrs quitting fb to find altrnatives like volunteering, vsiting sick or aged. Thnk others, love neigjbor as thyself as best u can. I would if i could as those who do say its worth it.
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....