Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Living with MS : tips, treatments and resources

User Profile
Share important information here ... this is your resource thread*!

What has helped you cope with this health condition?
Which resources do you think members should consider?
Has anything helped YOU?

* Treatments
* Books
* Speakers
* DVDs or Videos
* Procedures
* Diagnostic tests ... anything you can think of...

We're here to help one another.
Share your enthusiasm and support others.
We're glad you're here. Smile

* Use the space wisely, advertising posts are subject to removal
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile mara2905

replied August 21st, 2009
Just recently I read an article of nutrition scientist Joel Ullisperger writing about a doctor who had successfully helped 12,000 ms patients with a diet treatment. If this is like that why does nobody know this? Is there anyone who has tried it?
|

replied March 24th, 2011
because if joel got world recongnition, the medical compny would lose money becuse no one would buy medication for ms treatments and etc. I heard that there are mny incurable deaseases that can be cured by having a certain diet or exercise but they don't want you to know that.
|

replied September 5th, 2009
Hello, my name is Chelsae Dumbauld and I am participating in the National MS Society Bike Event. I plan to ride 25 miles or more in order to raise money for people with MS. My goal is to raise at least $200, but more would be wonderful! Please visit my page here:

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/ Bike/NCTBikeEvents?px=6986657&pg=personal& fr_id=10800
|

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2010
guhealth wrote:
Just recently I read an article of nutrition scientist Joel Ullisperger writing about a doctor who had successfully helped 12,000 ms patients with a diet treatment. If this is like that why does nobody know this? Is there anyone who has tried it?

Isn't the diet like number one thing in beating MS?! I was diagnosied like few days ago and I immediately got the diet from my doctors! All of the MS patients I have got to know through my process of diagnosis helped me with their diet advices and most of those ppl never had a relapse! Diet and sports are crucial for MS!
|

User Profile
replied August 31st, 2010
Drumming Away Multiple Sclerosis
Thanks for reminding me how important diet is. I've been using music and dance therapy. The joy I feel when I listen to music washes my whole body with endorphins that reverse a lot of the stress.
|

replied September 9th, 2010
Chiropractor
I have been going to a Chiropractor for 2 years. In the beginning, I was walking with a cane, due to lack of feeling from knees down. The back spasms were immense and I couldn't move that freely due to the pain I was in. I worried about Chiropractor and MS, but this particular doctor challenged me to check out Montel and his experience with a Chiropractor.

I recently had a check up with my Neurologist. I have gained balance (able to walk on tip toes, walk toe to heel and to maintain balance when eyes are closed), flexibility, mobility (My feet can go in circles now, instead of boxes, increased my speed of walking) and most importantly, I am pain free and I have been for almost 2 years.

Its an alternative therapy, but it works for me. The gist of what Montel found, was that our C1, that holds the head up, sometimes gets out of place, causing issues all the way down the legs. That is what my Chiropractor says happens to me. Even when I had a bout of spascity, my Chiropractor was able to fit me in and in 45 minutes, I was feeling almost myself again.
|

User Profile
replied July 26th, 2012
ATL1102 – For MS
Multiple sclerosis (MS), also known as "disseminated sclerosis" or "encephalomyelitis disseminata", is an inflammatory disease in which the fatty myelin sheaths around the axons of the brain and spinal cord are damaged, leading to demyelination and scarring as well as a broad spectrum of signs and symptoms.[1] Disease onset usually occurs in young adults, and it is more common in women.[1] It has a prevalence that ranges between 2 and 150 per 100,000.[2] MS was first described in 1868 by Jean-Martin Charcot.[3]

MS affects the ability of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord to communicate with each other effectively. Nerve cells communicate by sending electrical signals called action potentials down long fibers called axons, which are contained within an insulating substance called myelin. In MS, the body's own immune system attacks and damages the myelin. When myelin is lost, the axons can no longer effectively conduct signals.[4] The name multiple sclerosis refers to scars (scleroses—better known as plaques or lesions) particularly in the white matter of the brain and spinal cord, which is mainly composed of myelin.[3] Although much is known about the mechanisms involved in the disease process, the cause remains unknown. Theories include genetics or infections. Different environmental risk factors have also been found. Checkout this stem cell website: adultstemcell.com
|

replied October 12th, 2010
While researching MS, I came across Olivamine supplements. They sound like they are great for helping people cope with MS. I researched Dr. McCord and have been really impressed with what I have read. I would definitely recommend looking into her work and her supplements! Hope that helps!
|

User Profile
replied October 27th, 2010
Laughter. That is always good medicine.
|

replied November 24th, 2010
Of course laughter is great medicine .. My doctor told me to do sports!! And he said that is the most important thing for ms patients. nurse
|

replied November 24th, 2010
My best friends mother who I am really close too has MS, and she has been trying treatments all over the U.S. and she just contacted a company who does Medical Tourism. I dont know much about MS, but they were telling her alot about stem cell therapy. I checked them out with her and they seem to know everything about getting treated abroad. It is a company i guess that started in Germany and they are opening a branch in the United States.

They also have a blog going
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied January 14th, 2012
Does anyone know if gastric sleeve or similar bypass type of surgery is okay for patients with MS?
|

User Profile
replied May 28th, 2013
I think diet it's very important, but it is caring for emotional issues, too. Look into yourself, there is something more than just a phisycal condition, you must find out what is the origin of any disease, and I believe that it often is inside our inconscious mind.

Big hugs from Spain!! Smile
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2013
I was in NY with little hope of improvement. Then a situation caused a move to Vt and new neurologist Dr. Appleby at Fletcher Allen Neurology. You can go to the Fletcher Allen site and find her and her work on new treatment for ms and walking. A scholarly article you can read and the med in question. This can and will give you hope. I will give updates when available.
|

User Profile
replied November 3rd, 2013
I was in NY with little hope of improvement. Then a situation caused a move to Vt and new neurologist Dr. Appleby at Fletcher Allen Neurology. You can go to the Fletcher Allen site and find her and her work on new treatment for ms and walking. A scholarly article you can read and the med in question. This can and will give you hope. I will give updates when available.
|
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....