User Profile
I'm 18 years old, and I'm too nervous to ask my parents or a doctor what is wrong with me just yet. So, I'd like someone's opinion.
I have a couple of things:
1. For about a year, I've had trouble passing stools. They have been hard, bloody, and I basically have to do yoga to pass them. There is a lot of blood. Now, I get an incredible pain every night right about when I go to sleep, and my backside is itchy, and simply put, I feel like I'm in agony.
I remember eating a ton of orange vitamin C things right before this started.
I've tried stool softeners. They work, but the bottle says not to use them for more than 6 days. I'd have to use them everyday.
2. For about three months, every few weeks I get this small cramp in my lower stomach, and the next thing I know I'm holding onto the walls and my head is spinning. I've been told I get really pale and I shake. I don't know the feeling, it's like... my body was twisted into a knot and thrown into a field of needles or something.

Help?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2009
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A7624
According to the data you provided (trouble passing stools for over a year, which are hard and bloody, itching in the anal area, small cramps in lower stomach), you might be experiencing hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids or piles are swelling and inflammation of veins in the rectum and anus. The causes for hemorhhoids might differ, but increased straining during constipation or diarrhea are one of the most common causes. The pain when defecating might make the person want to delay defecation which would further aggravate the constipation.

You might want to visit a proctologist for a physical examination. Digital examination, as well as anoscopy and/or sigmoidoscopy might be needed to detect the extent of the hemorrhoids.

Taking local analgesics might reduce the pain. Hydrotherapy might also be useful. Taking food rich in dietary fibers might increase the volume of the feces thus urging more frequently to defecate and solving the constipation.

In the end, there are surgical procedures for complicated hemorhhoids that can not heal despite the therapy and the treatment.

Please visit the proctologist and do not feel bad about this at all. You would have been surprised how many people suffer from hemorrhoids, but learn to treat them and to live with them.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.