Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

living with bipolar husband

I have a great husband..for the most part! He has been diagnosed with bipolar. Recently he has been off of his medication that his Dr. has prescribed for him and he displays the typical episodes of the depression phase. It truly is not his fault, the reason he if off his meds, his Dr. recently got out practice. My whole problem is this, my husband is back on the verbal abuse, the depression phase and the whole scenario that we dealt with before...and he thinks he is just doing fine and everything is ultimately my fault for being nagging and ugly to him...while at the same time I am trying to understand him...but I truly don't know how much longer I can do this with him..I need help on being a care giver of a husband with bipolar..I do know the great man he is...and I do know that this disorder is not his fault...I just need some person to help me deal with living a loved one with or without the medication.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper RoseBisme
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Taking medication for bipolar disorder regularly is one of the most important part of its treatment.
Finding the way to live with the disorder, for both, the diagnosed partner and the other one, can be achieved through psychotherapy, behavior therapies and group therapies.
But, bipolar meds must be taken life-long, cause this condition is chronic one, and by the time passes, its course gets worse.
Acctually, untreated bipolar patient will have more intense and more frequent episodes.
Finding the right combination of drugs and doses that work for the bipolar patient, usually, takes time.
Bipolar patient with depressive episode, who is off the medications, has untreated depressive episodes that usually last 11 weeks, and, multiple episodes of depression.
The biggest concern, is the suicidal tendency when depressed and untreated (suicide rate for bipolar patients is 15-22 times the national average, and, in first year off mood stabilizer therapy is 20 times the rate when on mood stabilizer therapy)

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied November 19th, 2010
I too have an undiagnosed bipolar husband. His mother had type 1 severely, and he has all the symptoms of type 2. It is a constant up and down roller coaster to live with him. He refuses to stay on meds - antidepressants. We have a two year old daughter that is showing signs of stress now, as Daddy is on one of his hostile, angry waves lately. I wanted so much more for my daughter than to live with a father with whom she has to walk on egg shells around. He is quick to use corporal punishment - on a two year old!! He yells more than he speaks. I am very concerned about my child, as I was raised in a dysfunctional home as well...she deserves better!! We have no extended family/friends and I have never felt so alone and isolated in all my life. Worst of all, my heart and soul just aches for the man I fell in love with...I hope and pray he is not lost for good.
|

replied February 8th, 2012
RoseBisme, just wondering how things are. My story is sooo much like yours. Where are you at with this.
|

replied February 8th, 2012
Living with Bipolar Husband
Just wondering if there is anyone still in this forum for bipolar spouse (2012). My husband of 12 years, only took meds for 1 year and has been off them for 3 years. Been seperated for 6 months (3 years ago) bc he had an affair with a coworker, sperated for a month (last summer) for verbal abuse towards kids and just recently for the same reason. He is back home now, but feels as though he's walking on egg shells. I'm trying to save my marriage, but I don't know if I can.
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...