Medical Questions > Relationships > Relationships and Marriage Forum

Living arrangement with boyfriend

User Profile
So I've been with my boyfriend for a year now and it has been great. There is no real way to explain how much I love this boy and how I want nothing more than to be with him for the rest of my life but it's getting to the point where I'm losing my grip on him. He doesn't listen to what I say anymore nor has he really from the beginning. Sometimes, I feel like he doesn't respect me at all. I've noticed it recently but it has seem to have gotten worse and I'm just about ready to give up. So here is the sitution, maybe someone has some advice they would like to share:

As of right now, my boyfriend lives with his mom and his step dad in an apartment complex. Just recently it's been announced that the apartment complex will be getting knocked down and turned into condos, so everyone is having to move out. Well my boyfriend's parents told him he is going to have to find a new place to live [They have been trying to kick him out for the past few months only because they are selfish and horrible parents.. but I won't get into that] Now, I don't live in a lavish house or huge apartment. I live in a trailer. Yep. A trailer and it is.. almost falling apart. I'm not ashamed of where I live, my parents do the best they can and they get by with what they can. I don't blame them for anything. Anyways. I told my mom and dad what was going on and they said it was no problem if Cody[BF] wanted to move it. Cody lives 30 to 40 minutes away from me and his current job is only 15 minutes from him. I understand that moving that far from a job is pretty difficult and especially for him because he has no car. But I told him he could quit his job and we could work on helping him find one closer and one that paid more[More than the BK. lol] He thought about it and at one point he agreed. He hated working at Burger King anyways and thought it was a good idea to find somewhere new. Besides, My mom had said he wouldn't have to pay rent or anything but when he got a new job, he could help with bills and groceries, which I understand because I do the same. Anyways. So I though all would work out but I got blindsided. Not too long ago, Cody came to me and said that his boss at burger king said he could move in with him and his GF. He would have to pay rent though $250 or so a month and he would have to help with utilities but he would get to keep his job which was now only 10 minutes or less away. So Cody agreed. He asked me if it was ok.. and I said yes. What else could I say. No? Take a job from him and just move him away from all his friends? I couldn't, I'm not selfish enough.. I understand not wanting to live in a run down trailer or have to worry about not having central heat and air. It broke my heart though. I'm starting to be ashamed of where I live and my living conditions but I can't help that. I have a full time job that pays well but I can't help where I live. I really can't. I just try to look at it as at least at his boss's house, there is central heat and air and he gets his own bedroom but it takes away a lot for me. I can't see him as much now because it's an hour drive from where I live to where he will be moving to. I haven't told him yet that I will be limiting my time in seeing him because I just can't afford $60+ dollars on gas. I tried to explain to him that if he is paying rent and utilities, he can't save up for his own car and he won't have ANY money of his own but he just doesn't get it. So, I think I will just give up. He told me yesterday that he will be moving his stuff in to his boss's house soon and I think that is what broke me. He won't listen to me so what else am I to do?

I need help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2008
Supporter
Well, unfortunately, it seems as if he wants to try to live on his own at the moment. He's not ready to move in with you. You'll have to learn to accept his decision. And support him the best that you can. Maybe make him some home cooked food every now and then. He wants his space.
|

replied November 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
I agree...its a crappy situation right now yes but finding a new job is a big pain..maybe he'd rather just keep the job he has for now and stay closer to home..I think that if you've made things work thus far then things will eventually fall into place and work out..maybe you can make an agreement to come see him every OTHER weekend or something, just so you save money on gas..i know how you feel about that believe me i commute 40min to school 4 days a week and my bf lives about 20 minutes from me so i'm fillin up my car quite often..but at least gas isn't $4 a gallon anymore! anyway..dont just give up, if you want things to work out..then it might be hard but it can work..maybe he would feel like he was intruding you if he moved in with your family? even if they did give permission
|

User Profile
replied May 22nd, 2009
Supporter
dont get upset! he probably felt like that was the better situation for him. that doesnt mean he doesnt care bout you. and if he really cares about you, then im sure he'll make a way to see you when ever he can.
|