Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Liver disease, medications or mental problem?

User Profile
I am chinese male 29 years old. I was jobless, angry at myself, people and god. I lost control and smashed things at home, including spirit things (chinese god).

later I was hospitalized, I have delusions but I know it is not true, I have no hallucinations, blood test shows that I have liver disease.
I am diagnosed as schizophrenia-is it a correct diagnoss?

after discharged with treatment risperidone 2mg, I experienced three times hallucinations. is it due to the side effect of the medicine, the liver disease or
the schizophrenia (I doubt it)?
The point is, I only experienced halluciantions after taking medicince, not before!?

So I did a biochemistry checkup for second time, it stills indicates liver disease.
is this a missdiagnoss?

What kind of liver disease I have?
fyi, I was a occasional drinker in year 2005

So what should it be my diagnossis:
1.liver disease?
2.Schizophrenia due to liver disease
3.Schizophrenia (pure mental problem)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2010
Schizophrenia Answer A13132
Hello.

It seems you are going through some tough times. But I hope you will recover soon.

There are specific criteria for diagnosing Schizophrenia. In addition to that, you also need to know what type of Schizophrenia is diagnosed. Delusions are commonly associated with schizophrenia. It would be interesting to know if you have auditory or visual hallucinations. While auditory hallucinations are commonly encountered in schizophrenia, visual hallucinations more often hint towards a medical condition leading to psychosis.

I am not in a position to comment upon your liver disease. Your physician should be able to diagnose it for you. Risperidone is not known to 'cause' hallucination. Please consult a Neurologist to rule out any other neurological cause for hallucination.

The amount of alcohol drinking would directly relate to the amount of liver damage. Alcohol leads to specific liver changes, which you should check with your physician.

Regards

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.