Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

lithium carbonate, lithium orotate. I'm totally confused.

User Profile
I was taking 300 MG of lithium carbonate, but now I want to take 5 MG of lithium orotate. I'm totally confused with the dosages.

I'm taking it to treat bipolar II disorder. I want to keep it at the equivalent 300 MG of carbonate which worked good for me.

How much lithium orotate would equal 300 MG of carbonate?

Thank you very much!
Best Wishes.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2011
Bipolar Disorder Answer A27802

Welcome to ehealthforum

Any medication especially for conditions as Bipolar is to be altered,tapered or changed under Medical Supervision and any kind of changes should not be done by yourself.If you are fine with the prescribed medication then there is no need to change it unless your treating doctor has advised you so.
I would advice you to visit your treating doctor for the same and take the drug under his observation so that you can follow up regularly and report any effects if present.
Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Disorder , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.