User Profile
I am a 26 year old male, about 200lbs, 6'2", and a frequent visitor to my local gym. Last week while doing a should press I injured the muscles in my upper back/shoulder area. I took several days off from the gym but returned yesterday.

Yesterday my back felt good enough where I returned to the gym to run on the treadmill. I didn't go above and beyond what I have done in the previous year on the treadmill. Within about 15 minutes of the end of my run I began to experience pain directly in the middle of my chest, without any additional symptoms. It persisted for several hours before it began to subside on it's own. Today I returned to the gym for another run, and it happened again, about 20 minutes after the end of the run. It quickly subsided.

Could this possibly be a muscle strain related to my back pain? I am a fairly healthy eater, I drink occassionally but don't smoke. I don't have a history of heart problems, but my heart problems do run in my family on both sides.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2010
Chest Pain Answer A15136
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Pain in the chest may appear due to muscle strain, lung conditions such as pneumonia, heart conditions such as ischemia or possible heart attack. Pain in the chest due to ischemia of the heart muscle appears in individuals who exert themselves, and may be followed with palpitations, dizziness, shortness of breath, etc.

According to the data that you described, you may or may not experience any of the medical conditions listed above. You may need to have an ECG and stress test to exclude any possible heart conditions. See your doctor to exclude possible muscle strain.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and tretament options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Chest Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.