Must Read
Stress is a natural response to life. But when does stress begin to cause health problems? Basics on stress and the stress response here....
What are the most common signs of stress? To learn which symptoms of acute, episodic and chronic stress can develop into more serious problems, start here....
Stress can trigger chronic illness. Learn how doctors test for stress and what to expect during an office visit in this section on how to diagnose stress....
User Profile
Anxiety Symptoms, Anxiety Attack Symptoms (Panic Attack Symptoms), Symptoms of Anxiety
Anxiety symptoms, anxiety attack symptoms: There are over 100 symptoms of anxiety.
Because each person has a unique chemical make up, the type, number, intensity, and frequency of anxiety symptoms will vary from person to person. For example, one person may have just one mild anxiety symptom, whereas another may have all anxiety symptoms and to great severity. All combinations are common.
Common anxiety symptoms include:
Body (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the body in general):
Allergy problems, increase in allergies (number, sensitivity, reactions, lengthier reactions)
Back pain, stiffness, tension, pressure, soreness, spasms, immobility in the back or back muscles
Blanching (looking pale, loss of color in the face or skin)
Blushing, turning red, flushed face, flushed skin, blushing, red face or skin
Body jolts, body zaps, electric jolt feeling in body, intense body tremor or “body shake”
Body temperature increase or decrease, change in body temperature
Burning skin, itchy, “crawly,” prickly or other skin sensations, skin sensitivity, numbness on the skin
Burning skin sensation on the face, neck, ears, scalp, or shoulders
Chest pain, chest tightness
Choking
Chronic Fatigue, exhaustion, super tired, worn out
Clumsiness, feeling clumsy, co-ordination problems with the limbs or body
Cold chills, feeling cold
Craving sugar, sweets, chocolate, usual craving for sugar and sweets
Difficulty speaking, moving mouth, talking, co-ordination problems with the mouth or tongue
Dizziness, feeling lightheaded
Dizzy, feeling dizzy
Electric shock feeling, body zaps
Excess of energy, you feel you can’t relax
Falling sensation, feel like your are falling or dropping even though you aren't
Feel like you are going to pass out or faint
Feeling cold or chilled
Feel wrong, different, foreign, odd, or strange
Flu-like symptoms, general malaise, feel ill, like you are coming down with a flu
Flushed face, red face, flushed skin
Head Zaps
Heart palpitations, racing heart
Hyperactivity, excess energy, nervous energy
Increased or decreased sex drive
Infection - increased infections, persistent infection
Mouth or throat clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
Muscles that vibrate, jitter, tremor, or shake when used
Muscle twitching
Nausea
Nausea vomiting

Neck, back, shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
Night sweats, waking up in a sweat, profusely sweating at night
No energy, feeling lethargic, tired
Numbness
Numbness tingling, numbness and tingling
Numbness and tingling, and other skin sensations on hands, feet, face, head, or any other places on the body
Persistent muscle tension, stiffness
Pounding heart, heart feels like it is beating too hard
Pulsing or throbbing muscles. Pulsing or throbbing sensation.
Rib or rib cage tightness, pressure, or feeling like a tight band around the rib cage
Sexual Dysfunction, sexual uninterest
Shooting pains, stabbing pains, and odd pressures in the neck, head, or face
Shooting pains in the face
Shooting pains in the scalp or head
Skipped heart beats
Sore or tight scalp or back of the neck
Startle easily
Sweating, uncontrollable profuse sweating
The floor feels like it is moving either down or up for no reason
Tightness in the ribs or rib cage area, may also feel like a tight band around the ribs or rib cage area.
Tingling sensations, anywhere on the body, including the hands, feet, legs, arms, head, mouth, chest, groin area
Throat or mouth clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
TMJ
Trembling or shaking
Twitching
Unsteadiness, dizziness, feeling dizzy or lightheaded
Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom (similar to urinary tract or prostate infection symptoms)
Warm spells
Weak - feel weak, weakness, low energy, light, soft, like you may faint
Weak legs, arms, or muscles
Weight loss, weight gain
Chest (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the chest area):
Chest pain or discomfort
Concern about the heart
Feel like you have to force yourself to breath
Find it hard to breath, feeling smothered, shortness of breath
Frequent yawning to try and catch your breath
Heart Palpitations – beating hard or too fast, rapid heartbeat
Heart - Irregular heart rhythms, flutters or ‘skipped’ beats, tickle in the chest that makes you cough
Pounding heart, heart feels like it is beating too hard
Rib or rib cage tightness, pressure, or feeling like a tight band around the rib cage
Emotions (see mood) (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with emotions, mood, and feelings)
Fears (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with fear):
A heightened fear of what people think of you
Afraid of being trapped in a place with no exits
Constant feeling of being overwhelmed.
Fear of being in public
Fear of dying
Fear of losing control
Fear of impending doom
Fear of making mistakes or making a fool of yourself to others
Fear of passing out
Fear that you are losing your mind
Fears about irrational things, objects, circumstances, or situations
Fears of going crazy, of dying, of impending doom, of normal things, unusual feelings and emotions, unusually frightening thoughts or feelings
Heightened self awareness, or self-consciousness
Need to find nearest washrooms before you can feel comfortable
Need to seat near exits
Head (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the head):
Burning, itchy, tight scalp
Dizziness
Dizzy
Dizziness or light-headedness
Frequent headaches, migraine headaches
Feeling like there is a tight band around your head, pressure, tightness
Head, neck or shoulder pain, tightness/stiffness
Head zaps, head tremors
Giddiness
Numbness
Shooting pains, stabbing pains, and odd pressures in the neck, head, or face
Shooting pains in the face
Shooting pains in the scalp or head
When you close your eyes you feel like are beginning to, or will, float upwards
Sore jaw that feels like a tooth ache
TMJ (Temporo-Mandibular Joint) - clenching of the jaw or grinding of the teeth
Hearing/Ear(s) (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with hearing):
Feel like there is something stuck in your ear, that your ear canal it plugged or blocked, that there is a pebble in your ear that you can't get out
Low rumbling sounds
Reduced hearing, frequent or intermittent reduced hearing or deafness in one or both ears
Ringing in the ears, noises in the ears, noises in the head
Pulsing in the ears, throbbing sound in the ear(s)
Mind (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the mind and thinking):
Afraid of everything
Altered state of reality, consciousness, or universe feeling
Deja Vu, a feeling like you've done or experienced something before
Depersonalization
Derealization
Desensitization
Difficulty concentrating, short-term memory loss
Difficulty thinking, speaking, forming thoughts, following conversations
Disorientation
Fear of going crazy
Fear of losing control
Fear of impending doom
Feelings of unreality
Frequent feeling of being overwhelmed, or that there is just too much to handle or do
Having difficulty concentrating
Nightmares, bad dreams
Obsession about sensations or getting better
Repetitive thinking or incessant ‘mind chatter’
Short-term learning impairment, have a hard time learning new information
Short-term memory impairment, can't remember what I did a few days, hours, or moments ago
Spaced out feelings, feeling spaced out
"Stuck" thoughts; thoughts, mental images, concepts, songs, or melodies that "stick" in your mind and replay over and over again.
Trapped in your mind feeling
Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear
You often feel you are carrying the world on your shoulders
Mood / Emotions (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with mood, emotions, and feelings):
Always feeling angry and lack of patience
Depersonalization
Depression
Dramatic mood swings (emotional flipping)
Emotionally blunted, flat, or numb
Emotional "flipping" (dramatic mood swings)
Emotions feel wrong
Everything is scary, frightening
Feeling down in the dumps
Feeling like things are unreal or dreamlike
Frequently being on edge or 'grouchy'
Feel like crying for no apparent reason
Have no feelings about things you used to
Not feeling like yourself, detached from loved ones, emotionally numb
Underlying anxiety, apprehension, or fear
You feel like you are under pressure all the time
Mouth/Stomach (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the mouth and stomach):
A ‘tinny’, ‘metallic’ or ‘ammonia’, or unusual smell or taste
Aerophagia (swallowing too much air, stomach distention, belching)
Burning mouth, feeling like the inside of your mouth is burning, or tingling, or like pins and needles, or all of these together or at different times
Burning tongue, feeling like your tongue is burning, or tingling, or like pins and needles, or all of these, or all of these together or at different times
Choking
Constant craving for sugar or sweets
Constipation
Diarrhea
Difficulty swallowing
Difficulty talking, pronouncing certain letters or sounds, mouth feels like it isn't moving right, slurred speech
Dry mouth
Feeling like you can’t swallow properly or that something will get caught in your throat
Feeling like your tongue is swollen
IBS
Lack of appetite or taste
Lump in the throat, tight throat, something stuck in your throat
Mouth muscles twitching/jumping
Mouth or throat clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
Nausea
Nausea vomiting
Nausea or abdominal stress
Numbness
Stomach upset, gas, belching, bloating
Teeth grinding
The thought of eating makes you nauseous
Tight throat, lump in throat
Throat or mouth clicking or grating sound/noise when you move your mouth or jaw, such as when talking
TMJ
Tongue symptoms - Tingly, “stretched,” numb, frozen, itchy, “crawly,” burning, twitching, “jumpy,” aching, sore, or swollen tongue (when it isn’t).
Urgency to urinate, frequent urination, sudden urge to go to the washroom
Vomiting
Skin (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with the skin):
Burning skin sensations, skin sensitivity
Numbness
Skin problems, infections, rashes
Sleep (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with sleep):
Difficulty falling or staying asleep
Frequent bad, bizarre, or crazy dreams
Hearing sounds in your head that jolt you awake
Insomnia, or waking up ill in the middle of the night
Jolting awake
Waking up in a panic attack
You feel worse in the mornings
Sight (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with sight):
Distorted, foggy, or blurred vision
Dry, watery or itchy eyes
Eye tricks, seeing things our of the corner of your eye that isn’t there, stars, flashes
Eyes sensitive to light
Spots in the vision
Flashing lights when eyes are closed
Your depth perception feels wrong
Touch (anxiety symptoms commonly associated with touch):
Burning skin sensations, skin sensitivity
Feeling cold or chilled
Numbness
Pain
Tingling, pins and needles feelings
Other anxiety symptoms are described as:
Being like a hypochondriac, muscle twinges, worry all the time, tingles, gagging, tightness in the chest, tongue twitches, shaky, breath lump, heart beat problems, head tingles, itchy tingling in arms and legs, and so many more.

In addition to these anxiety symptoms, you may also find yourself worrying compulsively about:
• Having a heart attack
• Having a serious undetected illness
• Dying prematurely
• Going insane or losing your mind
• Suddenly snapping
• Losing it
• Uncontrollably harming yourself or someone you love
• Losing control of your thoughts and actions
• Being embarrassed or making a fool out of yourself
• Losing control
• Fainting in public
• Not breathing properly
• Losing control of reality
• Choking or suffocating
• Being alone

thought this might help you guys!!! i suffer with most of these myself so if you ever want to talk just send me a msg.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile nikki1408
|
Users who thank nikki1408 for this post: razzarocks  outofmyhead 

replied August 18th, 2009
so what's the cure? I am having lots of problems at home (sick relatives) and lots of work in office..how do I solve this?
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2009
hey akks
to tell you the truth im struggling with finding a cure myself. i suffer with alot of this every day.
|

User Profile
hey, i actually posted a topic last night and i just finished reading ur long list of symptoms and i have experienced all of these on countless occasions...i really dont want to have to take pills for my anxiety but lately its getting pretty hectic, i actually find myself being more obsessive compulsive about some of these things i worry about...most of the time i dont even realize that it is the anxiety making me think about it...have u tried talking to a professional about it? and if so, did it help at all? i feel kind of embarrassed to even consider that because i kno im not crazy but sometimes with all the worrying i do i kno its not normal and regular people dont think about that kind of stuff. me and my mom were recently talking about my anxiety and i have discovered that it is her that i get it from, but she has never been on pills for it. unfortunately she drinks every night i guess to take off some of the edge but i would like to kno how u deal with it and wut some solutions could be? thanks
|

User Profile
and also do u have a feeling of "butterflies" or fluttering in your stomach and chest like all day every day? or have even experienced it? i kno some people when they get nervous or excited sometimes they get it but i have it 24/7 literally...the only time i dont have it is when im sleeping.
|

User Profile
hey jumbalia,
i havnt had any therapy. i keep telling myself that i dont need to talk to one, that i can do this by myself. i didnt want to take meds in the first place either but as the days went on i figured i had no choice. i tried paxil and effexor. thise messed me up worse than before. i just started taking zoloft yesterday and already i am having some of the side effects of it (worse anxiety, a little shaky) but my pharmacist says its normal for the first week or so to feel this way. so if you think you can do it by yourself, i wish you good luck. but for me i had to give in to the dr's recomendations...if you ever want to talk. pm me
|

User Profile
aww thanks...ya im kind of against medications and i dont believe that taking pills to cover up the problem is the best solution...ive been told that there is a root to the problem and u just have to discover it and solve it, i guess im just having some trouble right now...i believe ive always had anxiety, its just decided to show its ugly face in the last 3 years. and i kno this is me worrying again but im afraid ill have a heart attack from all the worrying about having a heart attack lol if that makes any sense.
|

User Profile
lol that makes total sence!!! i was there!lol.how old are you? do you have a reason to think that you are going to have a heart attack? does heart problems run in your family or something??? my advice to you if you are not comfortable taking meds is to maybe try cbt. (cognitive behavioral therapy) you can do it in a group or you can do self help books. it helps with the thoughts. i havnt tried it but i ordered the books and im waiting on them to get here!
|

replied August 21st, 2009
i am glad I have found this forum to talk about this. I am 41 yrs old, no kids yet.

I suffered from the anxiety problem for about 2 years and that went away about 8 to 9 months ago when i made an attempt to distract myself everytime that happened to me. I did go to a doc for a few sessions and I am sure it helped but I was too lazy to keep going back and so I kinda stopped but now recently past month or so my Mother in law's health has deteriorated (she was diagnozed with cancer about 4 weeks ago) and she is home so my life has become about getting up at 6 a.m, doing stuff, going to work, coming back and attending to her so somewhere that has affected me pretty badly. I might sound insensitive now but I know this is the life I am going to have for a very very long time so I know I cant do anything with mine. Dont get me wrong. I do want her to live for many many years to come and I am ready to do what it takes to help her but I know I am going to be completely exhausted and more importantly I do want to do a good job taking care of her and the thought that someone in the family might make a comment or say I could be something better is what is killing me. The need to do the right things and keep everyone happy is tough. My husband is extremely supportive and keeps trying to help where he can and tells me everyday how good a job I am dong and that he appreciates it very much but EVEN then..Sad

sorry folks..using this forum to crib as well..

am thinking of taking up meditation and maybe some physical exercise about 30 mins a day. hope it helps..if u all have found other techniques, pls let me know. I dont want medication.
|

Experienced User
Hi, guys. I am experiencing a lot of anxiety/panic/stress symptoms, especially here lately. I have started bawling and feeling like I am going to puke so many times the past few weeks. I just posted a really long post explaining my issues...

I talk to my friend tonight at dinner about it, because she has been to see a professional about certain things (she was told to see one when her parents split up a while back, and she started seeing another one about a year ago because she didn't know how do deal with certain things in her life)...Anyways, my friend told me today that she hasn't seen a professional in about 6 months because she was placed on a medication to see how it would help her. She said it helped, but she decided to go off of it for a short while, and that just completely ruined her. She wasn't sure about anything, she second guessed so many things that were important in her life, and she went back on it and she is happier again than what she was without it. She said it doesn't always work but it does take the edge off and makes her feel unstoppable sometimes. Anyways, I know I am not crazy either, up until I start having these panic attacks in front of everyone and they look at me like I am crazy! It is embarrassing! I'm trying to figure out how do deal myself.
|

Hi Lady_Magoo,
I do totally understand exactly what you are going through. The fact that so many people have this problem makes it a very common problem I think and I am sure there are techniques to bringing that balance. (I am facing the same problems). The only thing I do now is to take deep breaths and to concentrate on the breathing. Do about 3 or 4 and while you are doing it dont think about anything else, just concentrate on the breathing. This is useful especially in the nights when you are alone and you do not have any other way out.

if it is possible I have seen walking for about 15 to 20 mins helps. It definitelt leaves you exhasuted enough to get good sleep. The only disadvantage about medication is that once you get used to it, its difficult to be without and then you just have to fall back on it.

I am waiting to hear what the others have to say but if I can practice what i am 'preaching' here, maybe we'll be better and we wont be as bad as we think we are.

(about the puking, fresh lime with a little salt in water helps)..Smile
|

User Profile
replied August 26th, 2009
anxiety panic attacks stress
hey ppl, i to have been having some major issues with anxiety and do not tolerate meditation very well so need another option, my doc suggested cognative therpy too i hope it works , im loosing it! it all started with pounding heart at nite with bursts of energy during my interupted sleep,and body jolts, then during the day the of balance feeling, feeling like im gona faint, diahrrea, panic attacks,headaches,it gradually got to the point where i didnt wana leave the house i was so scared cos i felt so crap and thought i was dying, i have some underlying medical conditions too like diabetes and chronic fatigue which have contributed im sure to the worry of everyday life but now this sickness has taken over my life completely lets hope the therapy works in time! it seems like it mite take a while, but the first little exercise is simple just take a tissue and hold it in your hands flat think about all your worries and place them on the tissue, then fold the tissue up and put it in ur hand bag or pocket, they r still there but not goin to worry u im told..lets see how it goes.
|

User Profile
replied October 21st, 2010
Experienced User
Thats quite the list there. is it possible that a lot of these symptoms can just happen without the presence of anxiety?

Latley ive had trouble falling asleep due to dull vibrations in my chest that sometimes travels down my legs or engulfs my whole body when at night... its pretty scary, i try and relax and everything goes back to normal, but latley its been happening more and more and for the past 2 days ive been constantly jittery... i think its because i havent been able to get a good rest due to this weird sensation.
|