I have clear liquid in nipples when i squeeze my nipples..however its a small amount..I got off of birth control over a year ago and i had my second real period the 5th of September and havent had one this month and my stomach has been cramping like i am going to start but havent..an sometimes my breast are sore.. what do you think it is?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2009
Supporter
It could be caused by pregnancy or your prolactin level may be elevated. Prolactin is a hormone that causes breast milk production. I had this issue years ago and had to go on a drug to solve the problem. (I discovered the problem in the shower. I had a dried, crusty dab of milk on my nipple. When I scrubbed it off, the nipple stimulation produced a fresh droplet of what looked like skim milk.) A simple blood test can check the prolactin level. Mine was nearly double that of a nonpregnant woman but is now in the normal range. I believe normal for nonpregnant women is 25 ng/mL or less. Mine was 44 ng/mL, I believe.
My gynecologist told me not to squeeze my nipples because that just encourages the fluid production. (In my case, my breasts would become so full and tight that I would milk them once each day to relieve the pressure.) I still have an occassional discharge but it is now clear and the last time my level was checked it was within the normal range.
Don't be surprised if the doctor recommends an MRI to check for a tumor on your pituitary gland. This is not as dire as it sounds. There are plenty of people walking around perfectly healthy with this kind of tumor. But the pituitary gland is responsible for regulating the production of prolactin. If a tumor is pressing against the gland, it can cause the body to produce too much prolactin.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....