Medical Questions > Mens Health > Penis Forum

Likely duration of a yeast infection

Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
User Profile
Can I post a photo of the area in question? Could this be an STD? What kinds of conditions fit my description, what else can I do to possibly improve/cure the symptoms? I have read that 70% alcohol wipes can kill any bacteria, is this safe?

Thank you!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 29th, 2008
Penis Answer A5201

Current medical status: For the past year I have been consistently experiencing a rash-like symptom on my glans (I am circumcised). It's a narrow patch that extends from the hole of the penis downwards to just about the shaft. Less than a half inch long, and less than a quarter inch wide. It does not burn, irritate, leak, bleed, or scab. Many months ago before starting OTC treatment, it would become very dry and develope flakes of skin. They would peel easily without pain and expose shiny red skin with a glass-like texture. It did not hurt.
Current medical treatment: I have used OTC Cortisone, OTC vaginal yeast cream, many moisturizing products, and prescribed 2.5% cortisone topical. My derm says its nothing to be worried about. He prescribed the cortisone but did not give me a timeframe for cure or what exactly was going on at all. Currently the treatments have stopped any flaking of the skin, and the glass-like red skin has improved to a pink "scar" like patch of skin that still has a different texture than the rest of the glans.

According to the symptoms you reported (rush-like, peeling flakes, no burning, itching or bleeding), you might be experiencing a yeast infection. The yeast infections need a longer period of treatment, sometimes even a month. There is no need to change the treatment because the symptoms disappear. 70% alcohol would not be recommended because it can dry the mucosa and further irritate the tissue.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Penis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.