Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

like i should have died in that crash,...

User Profile
A few days ago i was in a car accident, the wind threw may car towards a cement barrier, and i over corrected, and the wind spun my car out of control across the highway and into a guard rail several time before finally stopping. I injured my chest, stomach and both knees were slammed into the dashboard.I also have a concussion. The chest injury is a stress fracture from hitting the steering wheel. My question is, is it normal to be scared to drive, or for others to drive you. I was the only person in the car, and i was the driver. And is it normal to feel like i should have died in the accident, and now that i really cant do a whole lot is it normal for me to just want it to all go away, to not be here anymore? I am young, i am 18, but i feel like the people who matter most dont care and im helpless, i just want all the pain and suffering to go away. I feel like i should have died in that crash, yet i walked away practically unharmed. Is that normal?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2011
Depression Answer A20384
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the feeling of being scared to drive the car after you met with a serious car accident a few days ago and also by the feeling that you should have died in that accident rather than escaping practically unharmed. You also made a mention of feeling of worthlessness and loneliness.
The concern of being scared to travel in a car is suggestive of avoidance, part of symptom complex of PTSD. Your other concerns are suggestive of clinical depression. You must consult your psychiatrist for definitive diagnosis and management which might include anti-depressant drugs and behaviour therapy as the same cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.