User Profile
i am ashish yadav from india , my age is 22 , i go to toilet once in three days , this condition is present since birth , i went to many doctors , they gave me sodium picosulfate , lactulose and isabgol husk etc. and told me to make a habit , these medicines work but when i discontinue them the condition becomes the same , my diet is good and i drink plenty of water too , i do a lot of walking and cycling but no effect , i went to an experienced gastroenterologist , he did the tests like barium enema , colonoscopy , blood test , thyroid tests , everything was normal , he gave me conclusion that a few percent people do not go to toilet daily its fine we cannot do anything about it . but i feel there is something wrong . i want to know if it can be some neurological disorder in the segment of intestine which causes the problem like hirschsprung disease or something like that , my grandmother and my father also have same type of lifelong constipation issues

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2014
Intestinal Disorders Answer A46867
Thank you for asking!
COnstipation may be genetic. It passess along genes. Good news is that there is no abnormality and all work up came back fine. And the issue with constipation medicines is that you never stop them. You continue using them at least ispaghol and natural remedies for laxative. Large intestine is slow to process the feces in some population and that leads to constipation due to excessive water reabsorption.Good toilet habits and good eating and lifestyle modifications will keep you out of the trouble. There is nothing else the cure for this constipation but the management.
Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.