Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Life long effects in a recovered heroin addict?

I am a recovered heroin and narcotic pain killer addict. I have been clean for 8 years. However, I still feel very strong feelings when I see something on TV about heroin, drive through some of the areas I used to use/buy in, hear songs that I remember from those days, etc. I get like a butterflies feeling. I know better, and I have never actually gone back to it, but it freaks me out. Question Also I twitch, not a lot and its more of like a shiver. I get the urge to shiver and keep doing it until I feel relief. Its a weird feeling. Sometimes its a quick twitchy shiver and sometimes they happen over and over for a minute or two. Wondering if that might be a left over symptom?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 26th, 2012
I know what you mean about the shivery feeling. It's funny you mention actually because even before I became an opiate-addict I remember have a werd fascination with that sensation you get when you know your going to get the "chills". There would actually be moments when if I felt it coming and it didn't actually Devulge through my body then I would get a disappointed feeling which could arguably be liked to the feeling you get when you realize are going to get an opiate buzz for the day
|

replied May 26th, 2012
Sorry I mean "hen you arent* going to get and opiate fix...also thank you for sharing, although its kinda dissapointing to hear that because that's one of th biggest fears I have about permanent cessation from opiates. I noticed since I gained the knowledge of heroin that It has an even stronger euphoria which will grip you harder and be harder to avoid living without.
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....