Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Life after methadone withdrawls (Page 1)

i was takin 6 dones aday and my doc that perscribed them passed away so i had to find a new one. my new doc refused to give me any so i went cold turkey. i went back to see him one week later i had lost 14 pounds in a week,couldnt sleep,night sweats,vomiting,sneezing none stop and most of all i feel like a different person im miserable. so, he decided to put me on percocet [4 aday]. it helped a little by takin the edge off but i still have no life in me. i lay in bed all day everyday to the point my skin gets raw. i have no desire to do anything.i wished i never took dones its the worst thing ive ever gone through. i want to feel life in me again. does anyone know if i will get over feeling this way.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper lifeaftermethadone
|

replied May 23rd, 2009
Experienced User
Im sure you will all addctions come to an end if you can just stay strong ive never experienced methadone addiction so i can't really say anything but i wanted to give you some encouragement as you've been so brave so far dont give up and keep fighting soon you'll be able to get out of that bed and start your life again! Smile
|

replied August 10th, 2009
I can relate ALOT because my mother went through something very similar...She lost thirty pounds in thirty days....COLD TURKEY...Yes, it was horrible, but know this, it does get better and will with time go away....I know now it seems like you are dead but it does get better....and if you didnt know, Darvocet helps tremendously!!!! believe it or not it really does do wonders.....also phenergan helps too....hope you feel better...Have faith it willl get better..but time is the key!!!
|

replied September 3rd, 2009
DO NOT TAKE DARVACET!!!! Darvacet and methadone are like twins chemically, that's why it works so good, it's like taking more methadone. If you took more methadone you would say it helped out tremendously until it started all over again. I've been trapped on dones for 6 years now, and am trying to figure out a way off of it where I don't have to be in wds for 6 more years. I've heard that its a 2:1 ratio for being normal again. 1 year of wd for every 2 years of dones. excuse me, not 1 year of withdrawal, but 1 year of not being yourself.

Good luck, but trust me, don't take Darvacet, or any other opiate. What's the point, you're only going to prolong it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
|

User Profile
replied September 6th, 2009
sorry about met withdrawl complications
Im currently on met i dropped my dose from 140mgs to 78mgs dropping at a rate of 1mg a day and had no problem doing so i had to stop it cus i was getting sick and i couldn't figure out why turned out its not the met and i am starting the drop back up on Monday but a lot of people that ive seen go through detox come out fine its just a pain and a lot of it is in your head you gotta get outta the mentality that your in pain and don't feel good or it can last as long as you want it to. im not saying you don't go through wd's but if you can get a sleeping pill from your doctor it will help you quite a bit because that rest you will get really helps to replenish your bodies energy. and take vitamin b12 like 3000mgs a day it'll help your live absorb the opiate in the pills you take now so you will feel more relief believe me ive detoxed b4, and i understand the pain. i just noticed your post was from quite a bit ago would you please comment on how you are doing now since the worst should have definitely passed by now.
|

replied September 13th, 2009
methadone detox
I am a 27 year old female. I was on 380 mg of methadone. 3 months ago I went through rapid detox. This is where they put you to sleep for 30 min and take all the methadone off your receptors. Slept for 6 days after. I had no withdrawl symptoms but still 3 months later I dont have all energy back. I would rather not have energy for a while then have to worry...is the clinic closing early today?...Do I have enough bottles to go on a trip?..Did they mess up my drug screen again?..Will I be able to find extra because I took my bottle for tomorrow?..Is that them calling me for a call back?..Is my fan in my pocket book because people are going to wonder why the hell Im sweating like I just ran a 100 miles(in dead winter).I relized I was a puppet on a string' that this clinic had complete and utter contol of my life. I may not feel like going and walking a mile but I now make the choices in my life. I am clean!
Methadone is synthetic(man made chemical)that is why it last for so long before detox starts. Because of this it gets stuck in fatty tissue,bone marrow and organs. Every time that it is released it connects to your dopamean(i know i totally spelled that wrong)receptors. That is why withdrawl from methadone last so long. I have never heard of it takeing a year for every year on the methadone to feel normal. I have friends who detoxed out of clinic and felt fine. I was on 380mg of methadone for 4 years and 3 months after rapid detox the only thing I feel is lack of energy and everyday that gets better.
There is hope out there to come off methadone.
|

replied November 27th, 2009
It's been 4 months since I took methadone. The withdrawals were horrible, even compared to the roxies I was taking. Anyway, after 4 months, I still feel a lack of energy. Life isn't the same. I hope I get back to normal. It's so depressing.
|

replied January 21st, 2010
I was on 96mg of methadone, I went cold turkey in a detox, went through hell, its been 4 months, Im not sick anymore, I just have no desire for life, not much energy, very depressed, it is getting better,Im staying clean, had a hard time staying clean when i got out of the rehab, getting through it,I knwo it will get better, it has to. I knwo what its like to want to sleep the days away, what is normal anyway, maybe this is. I pray have faith, thats how im getting through it.
|

replied March 27th, 2010
life after methadone?
I've been on methadone for 8 years. It was the worst decision I have ever made in my life. I went through a 17 day in-patient detox a year ago and when I got out I guess I couldn't take the depression and I got back on after only 4 days out of detox. That was ten months ago. Then, about a month and a half ago, I stopped taking it and after two days, I went to get on suboxone. The suboxone put me into immediate withdraws. It's amazing how you can feel fine one minute and then the next, be so sick that you feel as if you may actually die. I went back on the methadone again and decided to try to taper. I have gone down 5 mg a week for 6 weeks and felt fine until now. I'm at 57 mg from 87 and I feel so sad. My main thing is that I know God doesn't want me on this and if anything was to happen before I get off completely, I need to know that I would go to heaven. This has literally been consuming my life. I just wish I could find a way to get some help.....Does anyone know how to successfully get through the depression? Like maybe some vitamin supplements that will help or something??
Amber
|

replied March 27th, 2010
life after methadone?
I've been on methadone for 8 years. It was the worst decision I have ever made in my life. I went through a 17 day in-patient detox a year ago and when I got out I guess I couldn't take the depression and I got back on after only 4 days out of detox. That was ten months ago. Then, about a month and a half ago, I stopped taking it and after two days, I went to get on suboxone. The suboxone put me into immediate withdraws. It's amazing how you can feel fine one minute and then the next, be so sick that you feel as if you may actually die. I went back on the methadone again and decided to try to taper. I have gone down 5 mg a week for 6 weeks and felt fine until now. I'm at 57 mg from 87 and I feel so sad. My main thing is that I know God doesn't want me on this and if anything was to happen before I get off completely, I need to know that I would go to heaven. This has literally been consuming my life. I just wish I could find a way to get some help.....Does anyone know how to successfully get through the depression? Like maybe some vitamin supplements that will help or something??
Amber
|

replied March 3rd, 2011
10 years, tapered to 5mg, 23 days since using, was able to gain weight during withdrawal due to smart nutrition and supplements, could care less if I "feel good", I don't want any cheese, I just want out of the trap, Still don't know if staying clean is possible, the alternative is the die addicted and never be able to be free again. I can say that physically I feel much better than I did on the methadone that the big pharmacutical companies and the government are getting rich on. No I would rather do things my way and on my own terms no matter any cost. I sincerely hope and pray. Really not all that bad after the 23 day mark.
|

replied March 4th, 2011
And there is the very small reality of rotten teeth and ill health if one decides to stay on methadone.. Considering the debilitating effects of methadone personally I don't understand the high numbers of people who decide to continue using. It really is a testiment to how this drug distorts a person's logic and reason.
|

replied July 10th, 2011
his music helps alot gets u pumped and out of the bed
even if u hate rap music give it a try emeinems music helped me alot definitly his cd recovery listen to im not afraid hes ben through the same exact things it really hits home if ur going through wds from methadone
|

replied October 29th, 2011
i have to agree. Im only 10 days off methadone (100mg to 2.5mg at 5mgs a week decrease). Its been hard but there has been lots of small things that definetly helped. one of the biggest is exercising and music. Hearing eminems music (exercising or not) just hits home like he said. Its like hearing all your own feelings and emotions of your own self but you could never put words to it like that. It helped me to know that someone else out there had the strength to get through something like this. I must have listened to "till i collapse" and "cinderella man" probably 200 times each. As addicts, we just want to make the pain stop and the way we know how to do that is to use whatever we're sick on. But i have to agree treating opiate dependence with an opiate is kind of ludicrous. The way that has worked for me is just going to the gym every day now matter how weak or drained I may feel. When one exercises, the brain releases or produces adrenaline which in turn your body will produce endorphins. endorphins are our bodys natural heroin (if you will) and produce many of the same effects that opiates have on the brain. Its a GREAT way to jumpstart the process of your body being able to produce its own endorphins again. We got it artificially for so long (methadone, heroin, oc, etc..) that our brain just stopped producing it naturally and now that there is none, we feel horrible. So go make some.
|

replied September 5th, 2011
I am a 39 yr old male thats been on 125 to 250 mg of methadone a day for 3 years. Also 180 roxi 30's 90 k-pins and pretty much every other street drug for most of my life. I checked into a rehab on Aug 12 2011 and have been free of all mind altering chemicals for 24 days. I'm not going to lie just typing this is pure hell. It don't get better every day more like gets a little better every week. But you must believe in something greater than yourself just to make it day to day. If I can make it out of this hell than anybody can. I pray for all the junkies out there so pray for this one. God bless you all!
|

replied September 12th, 2011
Right now I am on oxycodone 5 mg 4 per day and oxycontin 40 mg 4 times a day. My doctor once mentioned methadone but I think I will take the pass on that. I may be fooling myself but I have been through addiction before and with my oxy's I honestly can forget about it if I am not in pain. In my experience when you are addicted to something and you go a day with out it just does not slip your mind.
|

replied September 16th, 2012
Do yourself a favor, and find the closest methadone clinic, and don't be afraid to go back on this type of treatment! It's extremely hard to get off this medication, and many, many people live normal lives w/the help of this drug. It's NOT heroin or any other type of bad drug. If methadone helps you, stay on it. Just look into your nearby clinic(s) for help. Don't go through the rest of your life in misery.
|

replied December 26th, 2012
OK, I came to this site looking for answers, but I have found so many of you out there looking for answers that I feel I should share my experiences so far. This is my second time coming off methadone. I am about a month in but I will tell how my first and second times have differed. The first time I got on methadone was to combat an addiction to heroin. Doesn't matter how much heroine I was on but I allowed the councilors to convince me that because I was having trouble sleeping that I should continue going up in levels. Once I got to over 240 mg a day I realized my mistake. Took me almost a year but I weened myself down to 50 mg and decided to try cold turkey. BIG mistake. Terrible withdrawals and took several months til I started feeling even slightly normal. I had access to other narcotics but chose instead to try other drugs. Using any narcotics during this withdrawal period will only extend your withdrawals. Nothing else seemed to help other than Xanax helped me sleep and alcohol seemed to take the edge off. I also focused on music and movies, anything to try and distract myself from focusing on the pain. Like I said though it took several (three or so) months to feel even close to normal. In time though I developed chronic back pain. I started taking Roxi-codone that a friend gave to me sporadically and eventually developed a habit. A year later I was back on methadone for another two years. Wiser this time I only allowed myself to progress up to 140 mg which I think my addiction actually pushed me to. Truthfully, I probably would have been fine at 80 or less. After a couple of years I finally started bringing myself back down again but this time at 2mg a day to start down to 44, stopped for a week then proceeded at 1mg a day. I got down to 3mg and stopped going bought a few subutex. Took subutex for about a week and then stopped totally. I haven't taken anything except for a few Alprazolam which helped with sleep. I am now a month in but I have no energy, trouble sleeping and aching legs but the major withdrawals were very short, three days tops. My question is does anyone know how to improve my energy other than drugs or how long this will last. This time I did it differently so I don't know what to expect. I know this is an old post, I just want to get back to normal. I am 40 now and have made alot of mistakes and I just want the energy to try and make amends.
|

replied January 9th, 2013
I too went searching the web for answers on how long it it will take to feel normal after methadone. I have been off methadone for almost 2 months now. I was on 95 mg for 5 years. I tapered down to 10 mg and then quit. My acute withdrawals were not bad. The worst was the 2nd and 3rd day. By day 7 I was only suffering from anixety and insomnia. Now at almost 2 months I am sleeping about 6 hrs a night. But that is not without tossing and turning all night. I just want to feel normal again. If I even no what normal is anymore. I get up everyday and do the things I need to get done. But that is a struggle. I feel depressed. No zest for life as you would say. I could care less about anything and basiclly just go thru my day like a zombie. But it's better then going thru my day as a xombie on methadone. I know the worst part is past me and that eventualy with time I will feel "normal" again. Time is the best healer. Seekingnormal I think the only way to get your energy back faster is to exercise. We don't feel normal or have energy bc our brains take time to start creating enorphines again. Exercise helps that. Other then that I think only time will heal.
|

replied April 8th, 2013
i started the methadone program at 21 i finally came of it before my 30th birthday im now 33 i went to hell and back coming off im over that and my body is fine but still to this day my brain isint im depressed every day tasks are a struggle i forget things i get very muddled up i cant comprehend proply just wondering is that normal and does it ever go away
|

replied June 25th, 2013
Hope that someone answers,, I would like to know for I have the same problem.
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....