Medical Questions > Cancer > Cancers Forum

leukemia and CBC

hi, lately i have been very worried with my symptoms. i am a 17 year old male and im pretty sure i have anxiety but in any case i worry alot about two things. my symptoms are, shocks of pain in the back of my head lasting 1-2 seconds at a time, nausea, sometimes vomitting, intermitent fever, chronic dizzyness and lightheadedness, hot flashes and ocasional uncordinated walking. I have been terrified of a brain tumor for over 7 months now as well as leukemia for the past week or so. I have had 3 normal neurological exams as well as a normal CT scan of my head. I'm now booked for an mri of my head and my first question is,
If i dont get the contrast enhancment is there a chance the mri could miss anything?
My second question is, is it possible to rule out leukemia with a normal CBC (complete bloodcell count). Because i have been worrying about the possibility of these two cancers.
Please input would be great. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 10th, 2008
Supporter
Hi
You are so young to be worried about cancer or to have anyhting wrong with you. When are you scheduled for MRI? Can your physican not request an MRA as well? An MRA would find an aneurysm if one were to be there. Your neurological exams came back as normal and CT scan as well, This is a good sign. Wish MandMs was online, she is a genius at answering these type questions. She is one of the most intelligent people I have met here. Please keep me posted! Hope everything turns out well and you find an answer!
|

replied September 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
hey am not an expert but i think it's not cancer because you are so young and are you healthy other than these problems?
also your scans came back ok and your blood count was normal, i know this is hard but you should try and not worry about it until you have seen the results of your mri and seen the doctor bc you will just put your body under more stress than it needs to be hope this advice helps Jenny
|

replied September 15th, 2008
hey thanks for your responces, however if mandms could reply that would be great because i need some isistance on the question. im thinking that when it comes to ruling things out type of questions people dont like to reply for some reason..?
|

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Normal CBC rule out leukaemia.
MRI of brain usually doesnot miss mass in brain even if its done without contrast.
Contrast is only needed to differentiate malignant lesion from benign and inflammatory one.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Cancers , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.