Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Leg vibrations during sleep

User Profile
today was a sunday, and i just came back from work an hour ago. i dint have my lunch and was just sitting with my laptop on the bed and checking my mail, after a while i just dozed on the bed, barely i slept 10 minutes or so, and i feel i was sleeping, but to a surprise i was awaken by a sudden viberation in my leg...
i din't know what it was, but it got me awake, there was no sort of pain or bleeding. just a viberation ...
please help , i feel it has happen before at night when i have slept too, but no side effects

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 27th, 2009
Sleep Disorders Answer A8716
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

Your concern is regarding the vibrating sensation in the leg while sleeping. It can be due to muscle twitching, pinching of a nerve or a muscle spasm. It can be due to overextension of the muscles, overweight, prolonged standing during the day, dehydration or alterations in the balance of salts in the bloodstream (such as a high or low calcium, sodium or potassium level).

Check out these causes and try improving them. If still the symptoms persist then other medical causes have to be ruled out for which I suggest a physician’s evaluation.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For an exact diagnosis, you are advised to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.