User Profile
Dear all,

I have problem with my leg. For already 5 years I feel unpleasant pain in my leg (similar to small electricity shocks or feeling somebody spelt hot water). Through time something starts growing inside (soft tissue) and slowly my leg started to be without sensation, it is getting numb. This rising tissue under my skin (under quadriceps femoris) is still growing (now it looks like a small bump) and from time to time I experienced unpleasant pain (already described), especially after long walks. I should mention that my leg is strong and I even go to gym doing exercise even though I am sure this pain is not a result of gym injury or any other injury. I blame my self for being lazy but before going to doctor I would like to ask you for advice. What kind of examanation i should ask for?

Thank you very much!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2010
Muscular and Nerve Disorders Answer A10776

Given the data you provided (unpleasant pain in leg for five years, presence of small bump under the skin that keeps growing) you might have experienced a tumor in the leg.

One of the most common symptoms that are associated with tumors comes from their growing and putting pressure on the surrounding tissues. In your particular case, the tumor might have likely put pressure on the nerves in the leg. The nerves that are responsible for the muscles are located very deep in the leg, beneath the muscles and close to the bone. That is why the movement of the leg is not affected at all. But the sensory nerves are located beneath the skin and that is why you feel strange sensations (unpleasant pain, like someone pouring hot water, tingling, and numbness). These sensations are called paresthesia (meaning sensations without apparent physical cause). If the condition that puts pressure on the nerve is not treated, then it might permanently damage the nerve, by not feeling at all in the affected area all the time.

The true nature of the tumor (benign or malignant) cannot be determined without taking it out and examining it or at least with a biopsy (taking a part of the tumor with a needle).

You might want to visit a plastic surgeon or a neurosurgeon for a physical examination and removal of the tumor. Given the fact that you have had the tumor for five years it is not likely that it is malignant, but it cannot be determined for sure. However, what is important for you is not to waste your time and to visit a doctor for examination and treatment.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Muscular and Nerve Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.