Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Recovery & Post-Op Forum

Leg Muscle Pain since the C3-4 surgery.

Hi there,

I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction. I've been waking up periodically in the night with severe cramps in my left leg. The best I can determine is that it is the anterial tibial muscle. It seizes up and twists my leg inwards right down to my foot. The pain is intense and it lasts about 5 minutes or so.

A little background...I've had a c-section in Nov/11, herniated disc surgery for L4-5 in Sept/12 and herniated disc surgery for C3-4 in Oct/13. I'm 43 years old, don't smoke, very rarely drink and am in OK shape (not overweight).

This has happened about a 1/2 dozen times since the C3-4 surgery. I feel I'm in the doctor's office far too much already and would like to get an idea if I should take this seriously or if it's something simple I could correct myself.

Thank you
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2014
Thank you for asking

With previous history of disc herniation. it is likely there is relapse of it. Such pain sensations in night enough to wake you up could be very nerve related or it could be simple muscle spasm. Try some low dose chloroquine and muscle relaxants and cover your feet and keep them warm during sleep and see if it helps, If it recurs then it would be needed to look into it for further work up.

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Recovery & Post-Op , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.