Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Leg cramps & numbness after microdiscectomy

I had microdiscectomy 1.5 years ago on L5S1. Pain is gone but I'm still dealing with numbness on the back of my right thigh (moderate), right calf (severe) and the right side of my right foot (severe).

In addition to the numbness and more concerning to me is the severe cramping I get in my right leg and persistent muscle spasms in my right leg. I can watch my calf muscles "quiver" when at rest. The cramps wake me up at night (probably 3X per week on average) and can happen without warning just walking or sitting.

Are these issues those that I'll have to deal with forever, or should I go back to the doctor to have it evaluated?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 21st, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
hello duke,
i would go back to surgeon and ask that very question. enough time has gone by so that improvement is unlucky. big question is whether this is continued pressure on spinal nerves or leftover nerve damage or both. ....pete
|

I went to see a neurological surgeon last week. I'm scheduled for a sonogram to look at the veins and vessels in my leg to make sure there is no blood restriction causing the issue. I'm also going to have blood work done to rule out a lack of potassium (though I've tried bananas and supplements to no avail), and finally, another MRI to have a look at the actual nerves and back.

Cross your fingers!
|

replied June 22nd, 2011
Severe Calf Cramps!!!
What is your status after a few years? I'm hoping for an answer as I'm in the exact same boat (only left calf). I had a sever L5-S1 herniation (17mm) that left perm nerve damage in my left leg with numbness in my left foot. I get leg cramps each and every night. Last night was a VERY Severe one and I fear it's only getting worse. Potassium/hydration is not the problem. Any fix or did you get better?
|

replied November 5th, 2011
Hi there. I'm in the same situation as you only it's my right leg. It's been a little over 2 years since my last microdiscectomy and though the numbness remains, the cramp attacks have lessened over time. There's a couple of things I find helpful when having one of those out-of-nowhere wake-you-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night severe cramp attacks.

1- Bucket of hot water (needs to be large enough so that you can put your leg in it to the point where the cramped area will be totally submerged). I don't even bother turning on the cold water when I do this since I can't even feel with my leg how hot the water is. But of course be cautious as you don't want to burn yourself! Doing this usually brings me immediate relief. Let it soak for at least 5 minutes.

2- Peppermint essential oil. There are a lot of different brands out there but I prefer DoTerra since their oils aren't diluted like many others. It's a bit pricey but it works like a charm for me. Especially when I'm far and away from a bucket of hot water!

Hope you find these tips useful!
|

Extremely eHealthy
hi duke...
your doc is very thorough. i've had 7 surgeries and tons of symptoms but my surgeon never did sonogram. did he feel the vessels and suspect a problem...
well hang in there...i hope there is an easy solution...pain stinks....pete
|

replied June 19th, 2010
I just had my second mictodiscectomy on my L5-S1 after injuring it again. I'm still in a lot of pain and numbness is still very much there (back of thigh to foot/toes). From what I understand of DVTs and leg/vascular problems, unless your leg is red, hot and swollen, it's not a vascular issue. At least that's what I've been told. How long did it take for any of you to get any relief. After my first surgery, I was up and running but this one is taking me for a loop! It's freaking depressing.
|

replied January 17th, 2011
hi i had a microdisectomy l5-s1 about 2 years ago and have never felt any relief, all it has done is made the pain move, had another mri, then was told that the discs are dehidrated which i still havent had properly explained to me,i was put on to a high dose of morphine for the pain which dont really help much,i feel like a burden on my wife and children as i need more help than i would like, ive had this problem now for a long time and am now starting to find it very difficult to live with as it seems to be getting worse, i was sat at my kitchen table for about 5-10 mins had to get up as my thigh had gone numb and uncomfortable,i then realised that i had lost all feeling in my genitals and bum it wasnt like the usual numbness with a sort of pins and needles sort of feel there was no feeling at all,could have sliced myself open down there and i wouldnt have known, now does anyone have any suggestions as all thats been done is a referal to physio,please
|

replied January 18th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
hi geoffree
have you obtained an opinion from a surgeon other than the one that did the micro D ?....pete
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...