Greetings, I'm opening a discussion on behalf of my Aunt. She gets abscesses semi-frequently, but this latest one, on the back of her leg, is quite the doozie. It formed about a week ago and has been worsening ever since. She's tried a few different methods of dealing with it, drying it out, pricking & draining, multiple different lotions & solutions (including a mustard seed poultice, solarcaine etc.), to no avail. It's grown sizeably in comparison to others she's had in the past and we just aren't sure what to do next. Antibiotics are completely out of the equation as she has a breath-test coming up in regards to her stomach and isn't allowed antibiotics prior. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
I should mention, it's roughly the size of a Canadian Quarter (25 cents) and I can post a picture if it helps. Also, she was diagnosed with diabetes when she was 17.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2019
Hello and welcome to EHF !

I went through your query and i understand your concern.As she is diabetic since 17 but her recent age is not mentioned . Anyhow the abscesses may be more related with her uncontrolled diabetes so it is better to check the sugar levels both random and fasting and decide the control therapy if uncontrolled. Also antibiotics are important as the patient is already immunocompromised , if patient cannot tolerate the oral antibiotics and the problem is recurrent then IV (intravenous) may be the second option . It is good to discuss it with the nearest physician .

Take care

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Acne, Diabetes
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.