Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

left kidney is much smaller ?

Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...
User Profile
I have a lot of pain in my lower left back, very severe if I drink alochol or eat spicey mexican food.
I have had a recent ultra sound & old angioograms confirm that my left kidney is much smaller & scared (from in the past I'm told) than the right kidney.
Tests & my doctor confirm kidney, blatter function & prostrate is normal & ok.
What can be the cause of the back pain? as I do not think it is muscle pain as I have had muscle pain before & this is different like on the inside.
Could expousure to radiation cause the scaring of your kidney?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 10th, 2011
Kidney Conditions Answer A20650
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the pain in the left lower back on eating spicy food and drinking alcohol. You have also made a mention of scarred and small left kidney.
Radiation damage to cells in the body can happen after a person receives radiation therapy to treat cancer. It can also happen if a person is exposed to radiation through x-ray imaging, nuclear power, or fallout from nuclear weapons. If severe enough, radiation damage may cause cancer, birth defects, and other serious health problems.The prognosis depends on the level of radiation exposure, how quickly the person can be treated, and how detailed the follow-up is. Long-term complications may include cancer, liver failure, infertility, and thickening and scarring of lung, liver, and kidney tissue.
The symptom complex in your case point towards the possibility of acid peptic disease for which treatment can be initiated in consultation with your gastroenterologist and endoscopy if advised by him.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kidney Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.