Medical Questions > Womens Health > Breasts Forum

Left breast sore and tender with lump

User Profile
Hi I am 19 years old female and for the past few 3 to 4 months my left breast has been sore and tender and I recently felt around my left and right breasts and found a lump on the left one on the left side of my nipple (if that makes sense). I am worried. My grandmother recently survived breast cancer at the age of 78 and she got her left breast removed, her dr. also said it isn't hortatory. After seeing my grandmother go through and still is going through a great deal of pain and life changing experience I am scared/traumatized to go see a dr. and find out what I might have or might not have. I have been trying for days to find someone that is experiencing the same situation I am in but I haven't came across any. If you can just please tell me if what I am feeling is normal? Can a 19 year female get breast cancer? Please Help.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2010
Breasts Answer A17775
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum.
Chances of breast cancer developing at your age are minimal unless there is strong family history associated. The soreness and tenderness in breasts along with presence of the lump could be due to hormonal changes affecting your period cycle.
Do not delay in going ahead with an examination done by our gynecologist. you will need examination to see if it is cancer of breast or a benign lump associated with period cycle also known as fibroadenoma of breast.
The hormonal tests along with cancer marker or tumor marker tests done will help to throw more light.
If examination and test results are indicative of cancer a mammogram will be done. Early diagnosis and treatment at early stages helps in minimizing spread of cancer along with risks of a complete mastectomy or breast removal. Ignoring it and letting it grow while you can still control it, does make any sense. Do not hesitate to go ahead with the examination done by your gynecologist.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Breasts , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.