Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

left arm readings for systolic/diastolic are higher

When I check my blood pressure and place the cuff on my left arm, the readings for systolic/diastolic are significantly higher than when I place the same cuff on my right arm. I am seated both times. Why does this happen?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 14th, 2014
There's a lot of things that can affect BP. Differences in left and right arm readings just points to the importance of taking and noting blood pressure in both arms initially to prevent the misdiagnosis of high blood pressure.

If one of your arms frequently has higher blood pressure than the other, then use that arm to take your BP.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....