Hi I'm 30 years old. About 6 months ago I found myself struggling one afternoon to hold a potato whilst peeling it. My arm felt tired and stiff and I felt like I needed to shake it out, like you would feel after strenuos exercise. After a few hours it went back to normal. Gradually over the last 6 months this stiff/tired feeling has started affecting my left leg too. At first I noticed it about once every couple of weeks. I wouldn't say my limbs are weak as I can still exert the same pressures as my other arm/leg but they do feel fatigued and achy. Over the last month the frequency has Increased and i notice thi maybe 3 days out of 7, more so in the evenings.

I went to the GP today and he is going to check my B12 levels and thyroid, but he did skim over the possibility of MND. I went in there thinking worst case scenario was MS. Now i'm a bit worried to say the least. Has anyone experienced anything similar? my face, head and right side are unaffected.

Thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 10th, 2015
Thank you for consulting e-healthforum. Concerns over motorneuron disease and MS are not substantiated in your case. It is primarily due to the fact that your symptoms are transient in nature. If I understood correctly, the stiffness is produced by activity and there is no apparent weakness in the affected limbs. It is hard to be certain without having results of neurological examination, but I would consider dystonia as a cause of your troubles. It would be reasonable to obtain brain and cervical spine MRIs, to be sure, but they are likely to be unrevealing in your case.

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.