Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

70lbs overweight , diagnosed with gallstones

User Profile
I would like to know- when i was diagnosed with gallstones a year back. i was 70lbs over weight. i used to get very severe attacks often esp after fatty meals at night. then i started to diet and lil bit of exercise and lost 40lbs over a year. now i dont get those sever attacks anymore even after i eat large pizza occassionally. still 30lbs overweight.

now why dont i get that pain anymore- are my gallstones dissloved itself somehow. do i need to go for ultrasound to check the status of my gallstones. at the time of cat scan year back i had 5mm of 2 stone i guess. does this mean if i keep on losing weight and be at my ideal weight. i can be save by painful attacks and save from surgery, and enjoy fatty meals occassionally without any risk.

thank you.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 9th, 2010
Gallbladder Disease Answer A16562
Unfortunately, gallstones usually do not dissolve on their own (although very small gallstones sometimes pass out of the gallbladder, through the bile ducts, and into the intestinal tract by themselves).

If you have no symptoms of gallstones, then it may be reasonable to simply observe you for now. Any recurrence of symptoms, however, would indicate the need for surgery to remove your gallbladder and gallstones.

Congratulations on your weight loss, by the way!

Sincerely,

Robert A. Wascher, MD, FACS

http://doctorwascher.com

http://acancerpreventionguide.com

A landmark, evidence-based guide to a healthy cancer-prevention lifestyle, based on cutting-edge cancer research.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.