Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Late Period, and pain around my left ovary

Hi. I am a 25 year old healthy woman (only issue being a bit overweight), and generally my periods since menstruating around age 13 have been regular, every 30 or so days, sometimes earlier, sometimes later. However, my period this month is late. It should have occurred around the 20th of November, and now I'm a bit worried since it's the 1st of December.

I still experienced /am experiencing PMS, mood instability, bloating, vaginal discharge, abdominal cramping and pelvic pain around my ovaries that I normally experience before my periods. There has been no abnormal pain, no untoward bloating or distension, no pressure of hardness, no urinary issues etc. I am not sexually active, so have no cause for concern for being pregnant. The only issue is I have pain around my left ovary only. Is this normal?

I have been drinking a lot of Coke the past month, and have been fairly stressed. I have scheduled an appointment with my doctor, but won't be able to see her till the 23rd. Should I be overly concerned about this? Or should I just try to relax, see what happens? When is a late period a great cause of concern?

Thanks, a concerned woman.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2014
Hi,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out.

Delayed or missed period is known as amenorrhea. Apart from pregnancy, there are many other reasons for a delayed period. The other causes are hormonal imbalance like in PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome), stress, obesity, malnutrition, anemia, hypothyroidism, illness, etc. Even stress can delay periods.

hormonal imbalance of estrogen and progesterone and uterine abnormalities like fibroid. Your doctor may consider tests like blood sugar levels, thyroid function test, prolactin, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSA), estrogen, and testosterone. Imaging studies, such as ultrasound, X-ray, and CT scan may also be recommended in certain individuals.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.