Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

lasting 2 weeks and getting heavier with each one

User Profile
I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years ago but never had any issues from it. A year ago I tried to get pregnant using donor sperm from a friend and syringe. Up until this point my periods had been fine. A couple of days after insemination I had some spotting followed by a period which was 2 weeks early. All my periods after are regular every 28 days but lasting 2 weeks and getting heavier with each one. I went to the doctor, he suggested it could be due to PCOS and gave me norethisterone. This helped stop the bleeding from lasting so long reducing it down to about 10 days but I started getting bad side effects so had to stop them. I tried the Mirena next, it was expelled after just 10 hours and the doctor wont try again. I suggested pelvic infection, was given 7 days of 2 different antibiotics. Am on my first period since then and still heavy. Doctor now says to just leave things as they are. I hate the heaviness and it scares me. I dont know what to do next? What else to try?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 5th, 2012
Menstruation Answer A38404
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
It is difficult to comment on the cause for the prolonged and heavy bleeding that you describe without examining you and going ahead with further evaluation. Prolonged and heavy periods, with associated clots and abdominal cramps could suggest chances of miscarriage/incomplete abortion if you had been sexually active without protection or have tried for pregnancy. Prolonged and heavy vaginal bleeding is not normal and should not be ignored. Further evaluation must be done to rule out chances of hormonal imbalances, thyroid abnormalities, anemia, bleeding disorder, vitamin deficiencies, probable ongoing miscarriage/incomplete abortion, endometrial hyperplasia, etc. You should consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for examination and further evaluation to look for the underlying cause (you may also consider taking second opinion from another gynecologist). Treatment as indicated (based on examination findings and investigations results) would be started to help you control the bleeding and regulate your periods. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.