Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Lasting Viral Infections means HIV?

Hello Doctor. The last time that I had any unprotected casual sex with a new partner was June 2010. Since then I have been in a monogamous relationship. I was fully tested for STDs and HIV in March 2011, and all results were negative. Recently in November 2011 I noticed a small flat wart on my chin. It has been a stubborn little thing and it has been a task to keep it from spreading. I believe that I accidentally spread it it to my lips due to two very tiny white spots on my bottom lip and one on my top. My dermatologist said that they were so tiny and very common. She told me to just put my retina on it. The retina dried my skin out though, so I stopped applying after two weeks. The little ones are still there... In April 2012 I had to have some major dental work. I had five cavities filled on the left side of my mouth. Now I have had HSV-1 since childhood and its always been about the size of a dime just under my lip. However, after this dental appointment, in which I was under a lot of stress, I developed a cold sore for the first time in about a year and a half. Only this time it was not the size of a dime, it took over all of my lips, top and bottom. It wasn't until I went to the doctor and was prescribed zovirax that I found any relief. The Abreva that I normally used did nothing, and I kept running out! Even after using zovirax I have continued to have recurrent outbreaks since then. The virus will subside for about a week or two and then will come right back to the surface blistering. I have noticed that the medicine has gotten the herpes contained back to my normal location and size, located just under my lip. However, it just seems to be taking forever to fully go away. Ive been suffering since April 7 and today it is July 8. My concern is that there is some major underlying issue with my immune system that is going on that I am not aware of. I mean, I had had none of the other warning signs of early HIV such a swollen glands, tiredness, loss of weight, repeated yeast infections, etc. I can't even remember the last time I had a cold. I am going to get tested soon, but I just wanted to know should I really be afraid that I could be HIV positive at this point due to these lasting viral infections?
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....