Saturday morning 2 weeks ago I awoke with the back of my neck burning, it stung for about 2 hours, when I looked in the mirror I noticed swelling, on the back side of my neck, I felt a warm lump, and it felt squishy, asked my husband what it looked like at that time, he said a pink round swelling the size of a half dollar, the stinging continued, to be honest at first I thought I may have fallen asleep on my heating pad, but it was downstairs. I was a little concerned so I went to the urgent care clinic. When the doc examined it he said it was a large blister, drained it, clear fluid came out, he gave me Bactrim in case of an infection, bandaged it and says if it feels, or looks worse, to go to the hospital. After a few days a scab started forming, now two weeks later, (my daughter took a picture for me with her cell phone) it is a 1/4 inch black deep scab surrounded by pink inflamed skin. I never took the antibiotic, decided against it unless the wound got worse. Does anyone know what this could be? The gross looking scab is very deep, inset into my skin, tight, and does'nt feel even close to falling off. Should I go see a doctor again? At this time it is slightly tender when it is rubbed against. It's so disgusting, good thing I have shoulder length blond hair. LOL Doc thought it might be a spider bite, I live in Michigan and we do not have any serious venomous spiders here. Please Help!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 29th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Its difficult to make a diagnosis without a physical examination of the wound.

From the description provided it seems that the lesion could be an abscess, which resulted due to inflammatory reaction to the suspected insect bite and a secondary bacterial infection.

Delaying taking the antibiotics might be counter productive and delay the healing.

You might benefit by following your doctors advice and taking the prescribed antibiotics at the earliest.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.