Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Large, painful, possible lymph node on collar bone

User Profile
For the past year or so I have always had a small hard nodule at the base of my neck, but you couldn't see it.. I could just feel it. (Probably no bigger than a half a cm) it has been able to move with my skin and has never been painful. Since it never grew it never seemed like I needed to get it checked. 8 days ago I noticed the spot was sore and had grown a little bit, but not much. Over the course of the past week it has grown a LOT and became very red, painful, and warm to the touch. Four days ago I saw a doctor who quickly dismissed the idea of it being a lymph node and said it was probably an infected cyst and gave me a ten day prescription of antibiotics and said to come back if it didn't go away in those ten days. At my appointment she noted the entire lump was "very firm" and was 1.5x2.5cm. I'm currently on day 5 of the antibiotic and it's continuing to grow. It is now 2.5x4cm and is mostly hard but now has a fluid filled part growing directly up off of the top of the lump. Now I also have a couple sore spots on the other side of the base of my neck right at the top of my collar bone (same area just different spot as the lump). There are no lumps that I can feel on the other side, but whenever my neck is touched the areas are very sore. Does this sound like it could be lymph nodes like I had suspected at first or is it normal for a cyst to keep growing while on antibiotics and the sore areas on the same spot but different side of my neck are just coincidences?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This could be benign growth. I would suggest you to have excisional biopsy of the lump to sort it out.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.