Medical Questions > Cancer > Bone Cancer Forum

large osteochondroma. what is standard protocol?

User Profile
I am a 51 y/o female. I have had hip pain for two years and had a hip xray that revealed a large osteochondroma. I am scheduled for an MRI and will see an ortho surgeon as well. It is located on the illiac bone. I know I will most likely have surgery to remove it. What do you think will be the down time and what is standard protocol following, radiation? Would appreciate any info!!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2011
Bone Cancer Answer A19592
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum

Osteochondroma is a developmental abnormality of the bone and occurs when part of growth plate forms an outgrowth on surface of bone.Treatment is usually surgery and is complete excision.The prognosis depends on the size,location,shape,its extent,age and overall health of the patient.
Generally the surgery is favourable and once the wound is healed follow up and radiation is on need basis.

Take Care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bone Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.