Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Large burning lump on back

User Profile
I have a large burning lump on my back. It is about 2 long and 1 wide. It is hard with no head. It is located about 4 inches above the waist line and about 1 inch left of the spine. I have had it 4 days and the burning is not decreasing. I have started to not sit with a back because it seems to irritate it more. Any suggestions as to what it is? I have no credit left and basically no money. But, if it continues to a week with no sign of going away, I plan on visiting a doctor. Help

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 19th, 2010
Skin Answer A11348
Welcome to the ehealthforum. I am glad to help you out. As per the description, it looks like a boil (a collection of pus) and antibiotics are the treatment for the same. However, sometimes incision & drainage of the same is required if it doesn’t respond to the antibiotics.

I’ll suggest consulting a surgeon for the same and seeking an opinion as it is not possible to make an online diagnosis. I sincerely hope this information helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.