Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

large bulge returned. adhesions ? hernia?

User Profile
I had a kidney transplant 7 years ago. I developed a lare bulge about three inches above it. 2 years ago it became very painful and when pushed sounded like there was fluid in it. Had surgery for a hernia and was told it was not a hernia but adhesions that had connected to my intestines.It has since grown larger and more painful. I have bowel issues and digestive problems. recently had a CT scan and it came back normal. Any ideas?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2013
Hernia Answer A45190
Welcome to e health forum.

Adhesions are fibrous bands that form between tissues and organs, often as a result of injury during surgery. They are more common in individuals undergoing multiple abdominal surgeries (more common with pelvic, lower abdominal surgeries, including bowel and gynecological surgeries) or conditions like endometriosis. Serious procedures like renal transplantation can also be associated with them.

Although most abdominal adhesions are asymptomatic, symptoms can present depending on the the location of the adhesions. In benign locations, they present as fluid collections (loculations). In severe cases, they present with is chronic abdominal or pelvic pain. Other symptoms include reduced appetite, vomiting, bloating, abdominal distension, constipation, etc.

No tests are available to diagnose adhesions, and adhesions cannot be seen through imaging techniques such as x rays or ultrasound. Most adhesions are found during exploratory surgery.

Treatment for abdominal adhesions is usually not necessary, as most do not cause problems. Surgery is currently the only way to break adhesions that cause pain, intestinal obstruction, or fertility problems. But more surgery, however, carries the risk of additional adhesions and is avoided when possible.

You might consult with your doctor for a proper examination and proper advice and treatment.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hernia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.