User Profile
I just had twin girls on June 5th and have had virtually no problems until a couple of weeks ago (the first episode happened the day before I went back to work). Suddenly, one of my twins has instant crying outbursts which escillate into very severe, long term screaming. She acts like she is in tremendous pain, wiggling ect. I referred to the colic entry on this website which suggested lactose intolerance as a possible cause. I do breast feed, but, they always get a supplimental bottle of about 2 oz with each feeding.

My question is....can it truly be lactose intolerance if it doesn't happen every day? I eat dairy all the time (milk every morning and night as well as yogurt some days and cheese). I guess I could be eating more some days than others, but, I just felt if it was really a matter of being lactose intolerant, she would have these fits everyday. Her sister doesn't have this problem at all yet.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2009
Community Volunteer
It's possible. Sometimes the excessive screaming might wear her out enough not to have episodes like that every day, and she might sleep through some less painful episodes. I think it's worth a shot to try eliminating dairy from hers (and your) diet to see if that is what is causing her these fits.

Normally it will take up to 2 weeks to see a change, so you will have to wait for what lactose is in your system to clear and then hers. If that is the problem, it is totally worth the sacrifice in diet and the wait.

Check to make sure that she is gaining weight properly, and that she is having bowel movements. Usually with moderate to severe lactose intolerance, the baby will have explosive bowel movements, which may or may not have blood mixed in the stool (will be darker or green, but you still might not be able to tell just by looking.)
|
Did you find this post helpful?