Hi There,

I wanted to post in the hopes that I can get a question clarified.

Three months ago or so, I started getting palpitations with some acid reflux that initially entered my throat. I found out by pure luck that Zantac 150 took care of that, and then after some testing and visits, found out that despite the heart palpitations and thanks to an Endoscopy, my symptoms where being causes by Gastritis, but what I am DYING to find out is the cause. I am one of those people that really wants to know why something is happening and attack it at its core, and not just hope the symptoms go away. Currently, I am taking Protonix to take care of symptoms, but not sure its helping to be frank, as I am still pretty flatulent, even when I eat safe to eat foods, my symptoms go from flatulence, to burping excessively, to heart burn.

Now I love my cheeses, and although i have cut back fat, several episodes in the past involving cheese sent me STRAIGHT to the bathroom to do number 2, or had my stomach so upset i had to take Tums to help some. My question really is can Lactose Intolerance which my mom has had for years, be heriditary and if so, can it cause gastritis. THAT is the big question.

Thanks a lot for any help you give.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 10th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
It sounds as you have lactose intolerance, since its symptoms are as the ones you have experienced, abdominal bloating, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, nausea, flatulence 30 minutes to 2 hours after consuming milk and milk products.
Lactose intolerance tends to appear in families and certain ethnic groups are more frequently affected by this condition.
There is no association between gastritis and lactose intolerance.
Stomach lining inflammation or gastritis can be due to
H.pylori infection, chronic use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, excessive use of alcohol, or as a side effect of certain condition like pernicious anemia, bile reflux and autoimmune disease.
Central abdominal gnawing pain associated with belching, nausea, vomiting, bloating, a feeling of fullness or of burning in the upper abdomen are symptoms of gastritis.
|

replied May 14th, 2013
From wikipedia:
"Some studies have produced evidence that milk consumption by lactose intolerant individuals may be a significant cause of inflammatory bowel disease"

IBD is not gastritis, but it can cause gastritis.

Am I wrong?
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...